Looking to add long blooming color to MD flower bed

kelly21409May 4, 2014

Can anyone recommend a colorful perennial flower or non flowering plant that will show color most of the summer in Maryland. I have some mostly shaded areas in which the previous homeowner planted holly and other green shrubs.

There's a fair amount of tree shade but all the areas get at least a few hours of sun.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Frank Kelly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shadeyplace(7)

depends on what size you are talking about. there is Corydalis lutea, which blooms all summer, foliage plants such as the colorful Heucheras, Hostas (watch of for deer), Hakonechloa grass, and don't forget Hydrangeas.
painted ferns, black ophiopogon, there are tons of things to make it interesting. Check out fine foliage website.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 8:01AM
CEFreeman(DC/MD Burbs 7B)

With that kind of shade, you could also do some Japanese Maples. Choose your mature size carefully, but there are some dwarfs that have gorgeous leaves and bright yellow or red back.

Hellebores. Some of the beautiful, silver heucheras would bring light into the garden. I'm also thinking Peris, (so beautiful), Boy, the world is your oyster!

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 11:32AM
philipw2(7 MD/DC)

My agastache (hyssup) bloomed all summer with only morning light. They come in various colors and are available at most nurseries.

My japanese maples have very nice color---depending on the cultivar--in the shade.

A nice ground cover--15-18 inches tall--verigated solomon seal. Looks fresh all summer in the shade, under my japanese maple.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 3:46PM
yardenman(z7 MD)

You want to plant some Caladiums. Serious large shady color. But treat them as annuals.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 4:56AM
amanda_m(z7 MD)

How about Akuba? Yellow/chartreuse foliage all year. I like it a lot in my Maryland garden.
In the summer, Hosta and Cimicifuga and Heuchera come in an almost unending variety of colors and leaf shapes for shady/partly shady areas.

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 3:23PM
Herbal

I've come to love lady's mantle. It's great for the front of the border, reseeds, and is undemanding.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™