Variegated Mock orange experiences

janetm_md(Z7a)May 22, 2007

I'm seriously considering getting one of these. I called over to Behnkes to see if they carried them and the salesperson said they'd likely be getting them in later in the Summer but they were finding that Variegated Mock oranges don't perform very well in our area. Does anybody else have experience with them and care to comment on how they do for you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leslies(z7 No VA)

I can't tell you about variegated ones like 'Innocence' but I can tell you that the mature one that was in my yard when I bought the house is in full bloom now and the scent is pretty wonderful. Like gardenia, and smellable from the other end of the garden. The shrub is very healthy and tolerant of NoVA weather.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 1:39PM
spanaval

I have one with Chartreuse leaf that did nothing but grow for 3 years, had no scent on the couple of flowers it did produce, but has finally burst forth into bloom and is perfuming the yard. Visitors are catching a whiff of it and asking to see what's producing that glorious scent. The 'regular' mock orange OTOH, hasn't bloomed yet.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 2:20PM
collectordi(z7VA)

I have 'Innocence' that I got from Park's a couple or 3 years ago. It was very small when I got it and now it's maybe 4 feet tall. It's blooming now and smells great. My only complaint about it is that the leaves aren't very colorful. Only a small percentage of them are variegated.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 12:53AM
firstkim

Janet! You - variegated anything?!! What's next? Ornamental kale? (I have the salad dressing standing ready LOL!!)

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 6:21AM
More Discussions
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
Jujuge Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
Bottle Trees & Evil Spirits
So I've been a busy bee this season. Thank goodness....
CEFreeman
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™