Will my silver maple grow in Florida?

mcgyvr2009i(Schenectady, NY 5b)September 13, 2012

I am moving to Florida. I have a silver maple... actually a ton of them. When I was weeding my garden this spring, I found a ton of trees, most of them are Silver Maple and the "Tree of Heaven" Sumac. I don't want to leave these plants here in Schenectady. I was wondering, can a Silver Maple survive in Florida? Thanks in advanced!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/Extension/ffws/tface.htm

UF says it is native to northern Florida.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:28PM
gardengal48

Probably - it can grow virtually anywhere in the continental US - but likely less happily in Florida than just about anywhere else. What's wrong with leaving them where they are? There are many more zone appropriate plantings available for you in FL......things that won't grow in upper NY. Embrace the opportunities!!

And don't even consider moving the tree of heaven - first, it is not a sumac at all (Ailanthus altissima) and it is highly invasive.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:38PM
mcgyvr2009i(Schenectady, NY 5b)

Tree of heaven isn't sumac? Oh. It looks like one though. LOL I guess I'm having that same moment as when I saw a plant that looked like a palm tree and it turned out to be a tree fern. lol But isn't all sumac invasive though? If not, what species aren't invasive?

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 10:36AM
gardengal48

The term 'invasive' is often used to refer to different things ;-) In its most accepted usage, it refers to a non-native plant or animal species that has spread into natural areas to the deteriment of the native species. It also has an economic facet, usually with a species that adversely impacts agricultural or forestry situations.

Tree of heaven - Ailanthus - fits into the first category, a non-native species that invades and populates natural areas at the expense of native species. Sumac is not considered invasive under any of these guidelines. First, a number of species are native and by definition cannot be considered invasive. Second, it does not invade or overwhelm natural areas or cultivated farmlands. Rhus (sumac) does have a suckering, spreading habit but then so do many other types of shrubs. But it is relatively easy to contain and limit its spread.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 1:11PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Of all the plants you can grow in Florida, you want a Silver Maple?

If it has some sentimental value then I get it.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
Green-leafed, spreading-habit Japanese Maple varieties?
Hi All- We're looking for a Japanese Maple for our...
folksnake
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Sponsored Products
Solaris 5 Ring Chandelier
Lightology
Steve Silver Archer Arm Chair in Medium Cherry [Set of 2]
Beyond Stores
Mistie Rug 6' x 9' - KHAKI
$1,999.00 | Horchow
Logico Mini Single Wall Sconce
Lightology
Elkay Kitchen Dayton Top Mount Stainless Steel 15x15x5-1/8 1-Hole Single Bowl
$58.50 | Home Depot