Intertwining branches on 'Crimson Queen' JM ?

shelli563(zone 6 MA)September 25, 2008

We planted a beautiful Crimson Queen in August and she is doing well. She is about 5'tall and wide. Near the top of the tree, branching from the main trunk are 2 branches that have grown intertwined. They are flexible enough now that I think I can maneuver them apart if I need to without breaking the branches (considering what I paid for the tree, I don't want to break off anything unnecessarily).

Though the intertwined branches add an interesting appeal to the tree, my concern is that as the tree grows, the branches may "choke" eachother and end up dying. Is it better to untwine them or does it make no difference? I've included some photos. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I would cut the center one out rather than untangle it. Three branches originating from the same place on a maple branch is usually one too many.

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 12:44PM
shelli563(zone 6 MA)

If I leave it as is, will the branches continue to grow healthy?

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 9:21AM
bob_devault(Z8 NC)

Very cool. Will possibly grow together, which is also very cool. I have seen this before. Really can't hurt anything, as trees are tough. They are just two branches, and as this is a shrub type maple, strength of the limbs is not a problem. Don't over worry.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 9:59AM
shelli563(zone 6 MA)

I also think it is quite interesting looking, so I'll leave it as is.

Another question on caring for this tree...If I want this tree to continue to grow upward, do I need stake the leader? How do I exactly do that? Or will the tree do that naturally on its own? It appears to be a mature tree, it did not have any stake when I purchased it.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Japanese maple tree identification
Hi, I got this Japanese Maple from an arbor day giveaway...
iluv2knit
Kashima maple pruning
First off, I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone!...
Justin
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Kelp treatment effective for sugar maple?
One of our mature sugar maples has been struggling...
ruckusev
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™