When do asparagus sprout?

prairie_love(z3/4 ND)April 26, 2005

Hi all,

I am your North Dakota neighbor, I've posted here once or twice. I am wondering if any of you have asparagus and, if so, when it sprouts? I planted it last spring and it looked like it did well over the summer. I mulched it for the winter. I pulled the mulch off about a week ago and so far I see - nothing! Is it just too early? I am borderline zone 3 and 4, so any of you in that same range have input? Thanks so much.

Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karenn3(z4)

Well, I pulled the mulch off 3 weeks ago, and only saw my 1st shoots 3-4 days ago and only on a few plants. Once they start they grow quickly. My plants are in their 3rd year so this is the 1st year I'll actually eat them. I would think you might want to fertilize soon with 10-10-10 and don't eat any this year. Next year harvest for only one or two weeks and then stop. I think the farmers markets start selling mid-May in Mpls. To the more experienced growers out there, feel free to correct any of this info If I'm wrong. Good luck being patient. Karen

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 7:36PM
prairie_love(z3/4 ND)

Karen, thank you. That helps. Sounds like maybe I just need to wait a little. As you say, patience... Thanks also for the fertilizing advice. I knew I'm not supposed to eat them for a couple of years - argh! I'll probably have to sample just one or two spears this year anyways :) OK, patience. Thanks.

Ann

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 10:34PM
doucanoe

Ann, I put in 8 roots last year and they also did well. So far I have one shoot up, so I would say give it a little more time.
Linda

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 12:42PM
prairie_love(z3/4 ND)

Thanks Linda. It's been so cold here this week I haven't even gone out to see if anything has sprouted since the weekend! Hopefully soon.

Ann

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 10:56AM
smechman(4 MN)

I have been too busy working on my backyard streambed to come here as much as I like to so I just noticed this thread...

I've had 2 meals from my asparagus already - half of my bed is 6 year old stock and half is 4 year old. Had another meal ruined by frost. Should be another meal this week. :^)
I LOVE asparagus!!

Steve

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 1:41AM
prairie_love(z3/4 ND)

Steve, I am so jealous. You may be further south than I am. Anyway, this weekend I finally had one sprout. Now we'll just see if the others come up. I love asparagus also. When I was young we used to pick the wild asparagus along the drainage canals in western Colorado - not sure I'd do that anymore :)

Thanks.

Ann

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 11:02AM
permaship

Its been a warm spring like November here in Bulgaria. After i cut back the ferns of my asparagus they are shooting. My question is what to do with these shoots .Can i eat them or would it be better to leave them and wait for the spring harvest.

Many tx

Paul

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 2:15AM
More Discussions
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
Identify this plant please.
I found this plant at some one's home, outdoors. They...
ju1234
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™