Good nursery for buying evergreens

alina_1May 24, 2007

We just bought a house (our first single family home). The lot is not large and surrounded by 4 neighbours' yards. I would like to plant some conifers and Hollies for privacy. Can anyone recommend a good nursery where I can buy them at a reasonable price (with delivery and planting)? I live in Gaithersburg, Montgomery County, MD.

BTW, what would be the reasonable price for 5-6' spruces? In our local nursery (Potomac Garden Center) they are about $200 per tree.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Alina.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Alina,

There is also a place called Potomac Garden center in Frederick County, but I don't think it's related. Their prices are better than many I've seen on shrubs, though I can't quote you any prices. Might be worth a trip up 270. They're right off exit 26, take the Buckeystown direction.

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 1:25PM
Brent_In_NoVA(z7/6 VA)

If you are looking for pretty common plants, Meadows Farms usually has a decent selection and various sizes to pick from. There is a nursery up toward Baltimore that has a bunch of hollies...but I cannot think of the name...somebody else might. I know that they have a couple of their own holly introductions.

- Brent

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 4:22PM
robinsway

Alina,
Brent is right -- McLean Nursery is excellent for hollies. It's just off the Baltimore Beltway at 9000 Satyr Hill Rd., Parkville, MD, phone 410-882-6714. If you want some unique hollies, boxwood, etc., that's the place to go, even if you plant them yourself. Their 'Satyr Hill' is popular, but my own favorite of theirs is 'Lassie' -- just a gorgeous holly. This is an interesting nursery because you can see what many of the cultivars look like when full grown.

If you would like to try somewhere closer to Gaithersburg for delivery, you might try Sun Nursery in Cooksville. This is quite close to Rt. 97 and to I-70 and has a good choice of evergreen shrubs and trees with a large delivery area. The actual address is 14790 Bushy Park Road, and the phone numbers are (410) 442-2090 or (301) 854-6107 or (301) 829-3300. The website is http://www.sunnurseries.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: More about the cultivars at McLean

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 5:54PM
alina_1

Thank you very much for your recommendations! I will definitely visit these nurseries. I wish I had more time with the moving to the new home.
Do you think it's safe to plant hollies and spruces in such hot weather as now? I am anxious to start growing them, but if they will suffer from the late planting I'd rather wait until fall.
Alina.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 12:33AM
graywings123

alina - you might be better off living in the house for a while before planting. You will have a better idea of exactly what areas need to be screened and which views don't really bother you.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
elisa_z5
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??
Hi. I would love to plant a bunch of Nandina "Plum...
reddbuffalo
Lupinus perennis seeds (already stratified)
anyone know a source for sundial lupine seeds (already...
puffkit
waiting for spring!
I am so looking forward to Spring! I took a peek at...
busyasabee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™