Nice Surprises!!!

lazyweeder(z4 MN)April 20, 2007

I was out clearing off the garden today and was admiring some of the crocus and tulips when I noticed some other bulbs coming up too. These were the bulbs a few of us went in on 2 years ago. I didn't have very good luck with them. Atleast that's what I thought. Three of them are coming up this year that hadn't before. So if you weren't happy with that order take a peek where you planted them you just might have a "surprise" too.

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

So . . . . do you know what they are yet?

As I have been reading up and learning about the genus Fritillaria, I discovered why most of ours died. The bulbs MUST produce roots before winter sets in. Roots will NOT initiate in spring, no matter how hard you try. The only spring roots that will grow are those that were started the fall before. According to the literature for our zone, they need to be planted even before daffodils should, around the first or second week of September, if I remember right. So we got them way too late.

I have Fritillaria camschatensis seedlings from two sources coming up in pots right now. And received Fritillaria pyrenaica and F. thessala ssp. reiseri seed from the NARGS seed exchange this year. They will stay in the frig until September when I will plant them.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 11:39PM
doucanoe

I have a fritillaria that I put in two years ago coming up. It has died back before blooming both of the last two years. We'll see what happens this year, huh?

Linda

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 10:04PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Hey there-
Yep- I too have Frits blooming this year- that did not bloom last year!! I very nice treat indeed!

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
Identify this plant please.
I found this plant at some one's home, outdoors. They...
ju1234
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™