Anyone growing 'May' and/or 'Fog Light'

flower_frenzy(8a)July 22, 2013

I was hoping some of you grow either (or both) of these and might be willing to share pics and your experience growing them. The look of a yellow hosta with glaucous bloom intrigues me, but I'd like to learn more. Thanks.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 12:24

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
idiothe(4 MN)

I grow May in deep shade. No one seeing it - me included - thinks "Oh - that's one of the Halcyon family" It is pretty non-descript.

It does illustrate one of the oddities... the way yellow hostas have a bluish character... and vice versa. Mine is near Blue Canoe which is even more dramatic. Though blue in the spring, for me Blue Canoe is more yellow than blue through most of the season.

I can't remember the explanation... I know it has to do with chlorophyll and the other colored aspects of leaves that combine to give us the range of colors in hostas.

So a lot of "yellow" hostas actually have that kind of bluish bloom, at least for part of the season...

May itself has been a slow grower... not difficult, but slow. I only grow it because it is part of my favorite family... otherwise I'd give its space to something more interesting.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 12:45PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Here's May from a couple of years ago in late May. I don't have a lot of pics, so as Jim said, "it us pretty non-descript". Bought out of a collector's garden and has been slow to establish. Reminds me of Bright Glow. Diva also has a glaucus look, but would be bigger.

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 15:17

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 1:19PM
flower_frenzy(8a)

I see...that is pretty non-descript. I like the color, though. It's kind of soft or fuzzy looking.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 1:44PM
Eleven(Metro Detroit 6A)

Prairie Moon and Ripple Effect both have the bloom.

Here's Prairie Moon from last month; can't find a more recent pic, but it looks much the same:

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 2:09PM
Eleven(Metro Detroit 6A)

And here's Ripple Effect from a couple weeks ago.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 2:12PM
flower_frenzy(8a)

I like the look of 'Ripple Effect'. The wavy leaves give it more personality than the others.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 3:04PM
mctavish6

Poor May. You can count me as one who loves this plant. I prefer it to Halcyon. It goes through such interesting color changes in the season. The bright then powdery yellow gradually turns the most eerie turquoise blue color that's hard to capture with the camera. In the fall the margins begin to yellow. It's a full season show for me. I have it in morning sun but in a place I walk by all the time. It gets my vote

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 3:13PM
flower_frenzy(8a)

Wow, mctavish, your May looks great. I love the seasonal changes. Unlike most hostas, I think it happens to look the most interesting in October. Thank you for the info and the pics.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 15:26

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Shiny-leaved Hosta
I am SOOO bored watching snow melt! Not fast enough...although...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
Where to buy hostas
I am compiling a list of hosta vendors for the Dixie...
mcneillsr
got pots ...
after a week in the 40s and 50s.. i can finally see...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
Sponsored Products
Haeger Potteries Blue Ceramic Soft Rectangle Table Lamp
$99.91 | Lamps Plus
Hand-loomed Brown Border Wool Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Big Bang Wall/Ceiling Mount
Lightology
Olsay Olde Bronze Three-Light Pendant
$422.40 | Bellacor
Belcaro 1-lt Flush Mount
LBC Lighting
White Drum Brushed Nickel Triple Multi Light Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™