Looking for a Japanese maple that has red leaves all year round

bayarea_girl(NorCA 9)September 10, 2013

I'm new to growing Japanese maple and looking for a Japanese maple that has red leaves all year round. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

No Japanese maple has red leaves all year round - these are deciduous trees and lose their leaves in winter.

But most red leaved varieties of JM hold that coloring all season, often with brighter and more intense coloring with both new spring growth and with fall changes.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 5:21PM
bayarea_girl(NorCA 9)

Sorry, I should say that I'm looking for a Japanese maple that when it's not losing its leaves, the leaves should hold the red color instead of changing to different colors. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 6:45PM
gardengal48

And that would be most red leaved JM's, although some will 'bronze out' a bit in summer if in a very hot, sunny location. Typically they go through a series of colors, with spring color one intensity followed by a more subdued seasonal color and then a pretty bright (usually) fall color. So bright red to hot pink in spring to a deeper wine or maroon red in summer to a scarlet/brick red in fall.

Do you want an upright or weeping form? Fireglow is an excellent choice for an upright; Crimson Queen or Inabu Shidare for a weeper.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 7:14PM
bayarea_girl(NorCA 9)

I'm thinking upright form. I read online and "Atropurpureum" and "Bloodgood" are mentioned.

My parents bought a red JM but it changes color to green in certain season so we want to make sure we get all season red this time. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 8:12PM
gardengal48

Both of those two are likely to take on the bronze-green tones in summer if in full sun. Emperor 1 or Fireglow could be expected to hold their color better.

There are a couple of excellent resources for Japanese maples in the NoCal area - Pacific Coast Maples:
http://www.pacificcoastmaples.com/japanese-maples/japanese-maple-trees.html
or Mendocino Maples:
http://www.mendocinomaples.com/

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 1:38PM
bayarea_girl(NorCA 9)

Thank you gardengal48. The recommendations and the two links are wonderful.

I also saw a beautiful maple tree next to an office (this one has small green leaves) and wonder about its name. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 2:44PM
bayarea_girl(NorCA 9)

Another image.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™