transplanting Acer mandshuricum

WendyB(5A/MA)September 16, 2007

I've read a lot of the threads about pros/cons/risks of transplanting palmatums and dissectums in fall vs. spring. Does the same go for trifoliates?

I have a 2-year old one that is in too sunny a spot and all the leaves are quite scorched. I would like to move it to a shadier spot. I would prefer to do it in the fall if there is not too much risk.

The root ball was quite small (about a "gallon" size) when it was planted spring '06. Maybe I can get all the roots with minimal disturbance.

would you take a chance doing it now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ezochi

Sooner the better. I transplanted an Acer Palmatum 'Nuresagi' this past week after projecting how large it would grow. It got reduced last winter to a couple of branches, but was nonetheless pretty healthy. However, I didn't know in early Spring since it looked pretty pitiful then. I planted an AP 'Osakazuki' far too close to it. Late Spring the new growth was prolific--far more than expected.

It started out last year as a three gallon, but I transplanted it about three feet further so the soil is similar. I dug around the roots and underneath and was able to move it with most everything intact. I've watered it everyday by giving it a good soaking and it looks ok so far. Yours is even smaller so I would think it would be easier to move. Just treat it like a new planting because by moving it it will have to adapt to the new location no different from a new plant.

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
Best Mail Order Nurseries for Japanese Maples
I would like to order a few Japanese Maple trees but...
alameda/zone 8
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™