Ideas for planting a retaining wall

hoghaven_duluthmnApril 24, 2010

I have an ugly old cement block retaining wall. Some of the mortar has fallen away and alyssum seed started in the pockets and looked kinda nice. I am thinking perhaps I could actually make an attempt to plant something in the cracks. Any ideas? I wonder if any perennials would survive since there would be no winter protection? I am also thinking of putting some evergreens in the 4-foot wide bed at the top. Do you think any evergreens would survive in a spot like this?

One more question -- am I crazy to think of doing a cement stain to this wall (going to a tan/brown from a lovely natural cement gray)? How crazy is that? Probably not quite as crazy as trying to knock the thing down and hauling it out. Maybe. Any thoughts appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peggy_hosta(z4 neSD)

How about doing a search at the alpine or rock garden forum? They probably know about that type of location. Something like sedums, sempervivums. Some arborvitae are sensitive to winter burn. Is it protected from the winter wind?
Peggy

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 9:30AM
hoghaven_duluthmn

Well, I spent a good deal of time down at Sherwin Williams today, and I am going to try stain the old cement. Going to just try a few sedums and hen-n-chicks with some alyssums, and I think that will be enough. I am getting so excited about getting rid of the ugly gray cement color, that I am think of taking a few days off just to get it done!

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 9:12PM
hostaheaven-618

One perennial that I've had luck overwintering in a container on my deck is Artemisia silver brocade, also known as wormwood. I cut it back in the late fall, I don't water it, the only moisture it gets is either rain or snow, and every spring it comes right back. It drapes beautifully and might be very attractive on your retaining wall.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:41AM
hoghaven_duluthmn

Artemisia is a very good idea. An even better idea since I already have some that could probably use dividing!

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™