Cheap Window Boxes

jennamae(6)May 14, 2008

...is that a paradox? Apparently so

I am attempting to add some curb appeal to my husband's shop/office while he is away for the week (it is his birthday surprise) and of course I am on a budget.

I thought I would do window boxes and a planted urn at the entrance, however the 2 windows are 45 inches wide and window boxes at that length are ridiculously expensive. Does anyone know of a source or have any ideas.

The entrance is a blank slate and since we rent the space I don't want to go overboard, just want to make it more inviting.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynthia_gw

Why not use 36" inch boxes and center them? That's what I've done for wider windows. You'd have just 4.5" left on each side. Not even noticeable.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 7:40PM
jennamae(6)

Hmmm...I guess I could. I was worried the box would look lost.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 8:26PM
graywings123

I wouldn't go with the smaller window boxes. In fact, if there are shutters, the boxes should extend beyond the windows.

But more importantly, does the landlord allow you to drill holes in the outside of the building to install the boxes?

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 8:17AM
jennamae(6)

Yes, I cleared it with the landlord. I'm not irresponsible~ There are no shutters.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 11:16AM
graywings123

I had the same problem when I was trying to buy window boxes for my MIL's house. I shopped all over the internet and locally. The larger size ones are expensive. I ended up having my husband make them - which of course doesn't help you.

Maybe you could go another route with decorating the areas below the windows. Mandevilla growing up trellises would be pretty and easy.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 3:47PM
jennamae(6)

Thanks for the suggestions...my mom ended up with the Mandevilla~

I found two iron 36" window boxes on sale for $25 each and went for it...I put a dwarf Boxwood, white Geraniums and a trailing Licorice vine. I also found an old urn at my husband's shop and put a 2- balled topiary in it with white wave Petunias...mission complete...it looks better than it did. I hope he will be surprised. Thanks for all the input.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 10:20PM
tropic_of_chesapeake(z7a Md AA Co)

Too late to help you but Wal-Mart had 24" iron and coco fiber window boxes for $6 or $7 each. Maybe this will be a working solution for someone else.

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry K
Honeysuckle bushes and vines, anyone grow them?
Hello.... =) Does anyone have Honeysuckle in their...
gypsysunrise
Raspberries or Blackberries for northern VA
Hi, Well I posted something about honeyberries and...
zendog
STILL waiting for spring but starting more seeds anyway
So, what are the chances our temps will stay in the...
zone7patti (7b)
Looking to add long blooming color to MD flower bed
Can anyone recommend a colorful perennial flower or...
kelly21409
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™