Japanese Maple Identification?

crazydooker(6)September 17, 2012

I won this little beauty at a local landscaping company's pond tour afterparty, but they couldn't ID it for me (which is why they put it up as one of the raffle prizes). This was at the end of July, and I still haven't planted it because I just don't know how big it will get so I keep second-guessing where to put it! :)

I've researched online out the wazoo, and think I have narrowed it down to one of two possible cultivars but am still afraid I'm wrong and will plant it somewhere that it won't work or thrive.

Anyone know for sure (or even relatively sure?) what type it could be (bonus points if you know how big it will get and if it can handle mostly sun in zone 6) :)

Thanks in advance! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alley_cat_gw

Hey Crazy, Do a search on Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' and let me know what you think. Colors will vary a little depending on site conditions.
DSC00721(1).

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 5:12PM
crazydooker(6)

Hi Alley_cat - thank you! Yes, Autumn Moon is one of the two that I came up with after hours of googling... the other was acer shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium'. Any idea how I could distinguish between the two to be sure? I'm actually hoping it's the Autumn Moon, because I want to put it in my garden by my pond. But if it turns out to be Palmatifolium, it will be way too large for the area and block views I don't want blocked....
Yours is lovely, and looks just like mine so I think maybe we've got a match!

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 6:06PM
alley_cat_gw

Just going on your colors alone ... for june ... you have an AS 'Autumn Moon'.
~AL

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 8:21PM
crazydooker(6)

Awesome, thank you so much! Appreciate your help.

Kym

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 9:01PM
gardengal48

The mature size difference between the two is negligible so I doubt you have much to worry about even if it is 'Palmatifolium'. And they both grow so slowly, you won't have any issues with size for ages! FWIW, 'Autumn Moon' is a much more common cultivar - I agree that is most likely what you have.

Nice score :-)

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™