October Glory Maple changing colors already?

mkozan(Z6 HBG PA)September 9, 2005

I planted an october glory maple this summer, about a month and a half ago. It seemed to be doing well, but the past week it has started to change colors! It is almost all orange leaves right now except for a few green ones left, and it looks beautiful! The leaves arent falling off and they aren't brown, but I didn't think it was normal for the tree to change colors already. Could something else be wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron_B

Here in Zone 8 we do often see 'Franksred' RED SUNSET turn in September and 'PNI 0268' OCTOBER GLORY turn in October. However, you are two zones colder. Perhaps that has something to do with it. Or your plant was mislabeled.

Drought conditions often cause early coloring of maples here, but it sounds like this does not apply to your tree.

Bookmark   September 9, 2005 at 3:23PM
mkozan(Z6 HBG PA)

It might have been labeled wrong. I got it AS-IS at Lowe's for a reduced price. There have been dry times alot this summer, followed by alot of rain, then dry times again. I did water it often the first month or so, now just every few days unless it rains alot.

Bookmark   September 9, 2005 at 4:36PM
noki

your tree HAS been under a lot of stress this year, maybe it turned early. at least the leaves have not withered or died.

my October Glory, which i planted last July, in zone 5b Columbus Ohio is still all green. it turned red in october last year, i don't remember an all orange phase

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 10:22AM
secretgarden260

We have two of these wonderful Maples. Ours took awhile to adjust and develop. We planted both in 2002 when they were about 8 feet tall. They grew very slowly while enduring both drought and deluge. The leaves were unspectacular for a couple of Autumns. This year we noticed a huge amount of growth. Over the past few weeks the leaves have turned a fiery red which can be seen 2 blocks away. Sounds like yours is just fine, just give it some time.

Bookmark   November 16, 2005 at 10:09AM
carterobrien(5, Chicago)

you know, I have a beautiful red maple that was sold as a Red Sunset, but the tree has changed colors in November the past 3 years, so I'm wondering if it's actually an October Glory - anyone know a way to tell the two apart?

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 10:07AM
noki

here is a pic of mine the second year November 13, 2005

Bookmark   December 3, 2005 at 11:25PM
carterobrien(5, Chicago)

wow, now that's red! where are you located?

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 1:25PM
noki

I'm in Central Ohio Zone 5B. My "October Glory" turned red later than most other large Maples in the area, which is suppossed to be typical.

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 11:38PM
maxydem1

Hi at all. I´m Maximiliano. I live in Buenos Aires ARGENTINA and i realy love tahat awesome tree. I cant find they here in my countri. I´wonder if some lovely person could send mi some few seeds from simple mail. I can give seeds of Lluvia de oro tree, Jacaranda Tree, Palo borracho Tree, or Paraiso tree.

Thank you, sorry about my pour english and god day to all.

Here is a link that might be useful: My pics

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 9:47PM
markmoss

I have Autumn Blazes, but the leaves don't turn color by mid October here in Vermont...Which Maples do turn by mid October

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???
Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read...
sam268
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™