Can new seedlings tolerate Neem oil spray for insects?

srj19(4)April 27, 2009

I discovered a problem with scale insects on some citrus plants I indoor for the winter. I noticed that these litle buggers are showing up now on some vegetable seedlings even though the problem plants have been moved to the porch.

Do you know if the Neem oil I've been using on the trees is ok to use on new seedlings?

Thanks,

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boyle014(Z4)

I had a similar problem last spring. Really struggled with scale. Moving the infected plants outdoors turned out to be the best way to get rid of it. Natural predators did the trick.

Down here in the metro, it's getting warm enough to harden off some seedlings--e.g., spinach--but it's still too cold for basil and tomatoes. So the "moving outdoors" solution depends on the type of seedlings you've got.

I've used neem oil, but not for scale. It can be pretty harsh so I wouldn't assume it's okay for seedlings. Why not try a diluted version of it on one and see what happens?

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 7:43AM
salpal(4)

That's a great question! I have some variety of spidermite which seems to migrate from mature plants to certain seedlings. Last year this was hard on impatiens. This year it's on datura, moonflower and maybe peppers. These mites are under control on mature plants but the seedlings are different. I wondered about neem too, has anyone used anything mild that works?

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 11:42PM
srj19(4)

Well, I spayed some Neem oil diluted in water on the tomatoes and sumflowers and it seemed to stress them a little. They're still ok for the most part but some leaves are a little off color and curled. Maybe it's more than seedlings can handle. When I sprayed more mature plants with this solution it was great at taking care of some blight.

When the scale was really bad, really scaley I went after both little trees with a cup of neem solution and a tooth brush. It was really amazing how much of of that junk just brushed off. Following that I gave them all a shower, and a spray of neem solution. Seems to work well to get them cleaned up and looking good.

Scott

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 12:46AM
More Discussions
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
Sponsored Products
Creme & Beige Pick Stitch Quilt Set
$69.99 | zulily
Gatto Table Lamp by Flos Lighting
$445.00 | Lumens
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hampton Bay Oakley 52 in. Oil Brushed Bronze Ceiling Fan AC
Home Depot
Honey Glass Tiger Bronze 4-Light Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
j/fit Balance Disc with Pump - 20-1301
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Maiden Oil Brushed Bronze Ceiling Fan
$398.00 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Villa Valencia King Poster Bed with Canopy in...
Great Furniture Deal
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Cambridge Moss/Multi 4 ft. x 4
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™