'June Rose' - Someone gave me this at the swap . . . .

krgallo(7)May 7, 2006

Thanks, all, for the wonderful plants at the swap. My first one! I am wondering about the "June Rose" a gentleman gave me on Saturday morning at the swap. It blooms yellow, in June, this nice fellow told me. I can't seem to find any references to it. Does anyone know what a "June Rose" is?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faerieannette(z7 MD)

I think it's a Peony? Good luck. When I was little girl we had a huge one next to the house. My mom wasnÂt a gardener and never watered or fed it or anything. it was there when we moved in. they are really pretty plants!

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 11:05AM
krgallo(7)

Thanks, but it is definitely not a peony. I am thinking it might be "Sun Drops" -- looks sort of like the leaves. If anyone else has an idea, let me know. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 2:34PM
faerieannette(z7 MD)

well I am a big newbie! lol! I seem to remember someone somewhere in my life calling peonies "june roses"

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 4:14PM
DawnStorm(7/MD)

Faerie, don't worry about your newbieness! I didn't realize that 'jonquils' was just another name for daffodils until I was an adult. My mother always refered to the small yellow flowers with the orange centers as jonquils and would correct me when I called them daffodils.
Back to peonies: I have a beautiful bunch that came with the house. Such a shame that they're only in bloom 1-2 weeks. Oh whatta week though!

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 7:50PM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

I got some of the "June Roses," too - I think krgallo is correct, and they are yellow-flowered Oenothera, also known as Evening Primrose or Sundrops.

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry K
Lariope and Japanese Forest Grass in Zone 7B
Relieved to have found this group! Just cut back my...
khaines1
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry K
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™