'June Rose' - Someone gave me this at the swap . . . .

krgallo(7)May 7, 2006

Thanks, all, for the wonderful plants at the swap. My first one! I am wondering about the "June Rose" a gentleman gave me on Saturday morning at the swap. It blooms yellow, in June, this nice fellow told me. I can't seem to find any references to it. Does anyone know what a "June Rose" is?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faerieannette(z7 MD)

I think it's a Peony? Good luck. When I was little girl we had a huge one next to the house. My mom wasnÂt a gardener and never watered or fed it or anything. it was there when we moved in. they are really pretty plants!

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 11:05AM
krgallo(7)

Thanks, but it is definitely not a peony. I am thinking it might be "Sun Drops" -- looks sort of like the leaves. If anyone else has an idea, let me know. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 2:34PM
faerieannette(z7 MD)

well I am a big newbie! lol! I seem to remember someone somewhere in my life calling peonies "june roses"

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 4:14PM
DawnStorm(7/MD)

Faerie, don't worry about your newbieness! I didn't realize that 'jonquils' was just another name for daffodils until I was an adult. My mother always refered to the small yellow flowers with the orange centers as jonquils and would correct me when I called them daffodils.
Back to peonies: I have a beautiful bunch that came with the house. Such a shame that they're only in bloom 1-2 weeks. Oh whatta week though!

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 7:50PM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

I got some of the "June Roses," too - I think krgallo is correct, and they are yellow-flowered Oenothera, also known as Evening Primrose or Sundrops.

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
Jujuge Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?
Winter has killed several of the smaller varieties...
treehugger101
Article on Rain Garden design
Hope this is the right forum: This Philadelphia landscaper...
jkom51
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™