1 year later, and it got worse, what's going on?

newgen(9 Central California)September 11, 2010

This Crimson Queen was beautiful when I bought it Sep 2009, repotted it about Nov 2009. By spring 2010, it grew all new beautiful leaves, then summer came, all leaves dried out. There are some green leaves on it as of today. I have 3 other Japanese maples in the ground on the north side of the house, all doing fine. This potted one, is under the patio, so it only gets indirect sunlight, but is kinda exposed to the wind sometimes. I suspect that the soil is dry, but I check all the time with a moisture gauge, and it never shows "Dry". Not sure if it's overwatered, but I have plenty of holes at the bottom for drainage. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sawemoff(7-8)

We live in North Texas and it got so hot that most of our maples did the same. The ones that had sunlight were the worst. Read in the Ft. Worth paper that it is a way for the tree to save itself . They lose water thru the underside of the leaf and cannot stop that. The only way is to basically sacrifice the leaf to keep from losing too much water. It has cooled off a lot lately and ours are starting to get some new leaves. Hopefully it is something that simple.

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 8:04PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

In future maybe use the organic moisture meters consisting of your finger tips and your eyes. With not much experience you should soon be able to tell what is likely to be going on without even poking into the soil.

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 10:14PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Are those next year's buds I see on the ends of the branches? They look about the same as on your other maples? That's cause for relief if so.

Some trees just die. Heck, some pets just don't live as long either.

I DO NOT have the best eye for this so don't dig her up yet. Should a Japanese Maple of this size have an exposed rootflare? Anyone else think it looks like it might be planted deep?

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 3:28AM
newgen(9 Central California)

Those are buds for sure, on the branches. As for the roots, the top layer is some organic mulch I just put in about 2 weeks ago in the hope of retaining more moisture. Since it's dry and hot here in the summer, the top layer of soil dries out very quickly, but the deeper part of the pot is not that dry comparatively, thus the reason for the mulch.

Thanks,

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 1:10PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

i have the same problem with my JM's. they look good until around July-Aug, leaves start to scorch and brown. early fall sometimes they'll leaf out again, and have a nice color show in early winter.

mine are under the patio, east facing, but the morning sun is still very hot here in Houston. i water mine several times a week. the soil dries out fairly quickly.

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 4:22AM
More Discussions
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™