Winter peach tree damage

mhayes8655April 20, 2014

Planted 4 varieties of peach last year, all appear dead. Anyone have success getting any peach trees thru the winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AmyInMN(4)

I'm suspicious that the two I planted last spring didn't make it. But I got a newsletter from the company I bought from that says not all trees come out of dormancy at the same time. They suggested scratching off a bit of bark on the trunk to look for living tissue (you'll see a layer of green if the tree is alive).

I don't want to do that, so I'm just going to wait a few more weeks and see what happens. The buds don't look alive to me, though. Bummer!

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 9:51AM
mhayes8655

Sounds like you got your trees from Stark Bros also. We've had great luck with all their stuff. Coldest winter since '78 was pretty tough on peach trees tho. You might want to do the scratch test or cut into a couple branches with pruning shears (should be bright green) so that if they are dead you can get your new trees in the ground. They guarantee their product for a year. Mine are on the way right now.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:00AM
AmyInMN(4)

Yes, from Stark Bros. It didn't occur to me that they'd replace them. I just figured I was out of luck...thanks for the info!

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 8:06PM
mhayes8655

Well I got my trees today, I'm going to do a couple things different. 1st I'm going to pot 2 in half whiskey barrels so I can garage them over the winter. The other 2 plus a Starkcrimson cherry hardy to Z5 I'm going to plant close together so I can tent them and even give them a bit of heat on below zero nights and protect the blossoms from late spring frosts. Another thing I know I did wrong last year was fertilize and water too much, too late into the season. This discourages the trees from going into dormancy and makes them much more susceptible to winter damage. So no fertilizer (Stark Bros treprep) after Aug. 1 and really cut back on the water once the worst of the summer heat is over. If these guys don't make it I'll have to stick to apples and berries for fruit. Good luck with yours!

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 1:53PM
sma_gal

The peach tree we planted last summer, doesn't look too promising. Thanks for the idea to scratch the bark, maybe I will try it if I get too curious and impatient.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 9:17PM
mhayes8655

Any signs of leafing out? If it hasn't started yet its likely dead. What variety did you plant?

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 9:53PM
ginkgonut(4)

Mine is dead.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 4:06AM
More Discussions
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Fairy Garden
If there is anyone that knows anything about fairy...
Minnesota_Grandma
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
Prepper Expo gardening class
I will be teaching the seed saving classes at the Survival...
little_minnie
Sponsored Products
HappyLight Liberty
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Winter White Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Indoor Ceiling Light with Fan: Hampton Bay Aeratron 50 in. Indoor White 3 Blade
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Brook Farm
Home Depot
Country Estate Winter Frolic Cereal Bowl
$42.00 | Horchow