Rain??

adamterrie(4)April 25, 2009

It was/is supposed to rain three days straight from Friday night through Monday. So far, I have received .01 of an inch in Prior Lake. Last weekend was the same thing - I believe I got .05 inch. The song I remember growing up of "April showers in the skies" does not seem to be happening this year (at all).

When I expressed my concerns to my father about the lack of rain, he told me that the old adage by the farmers is, "plant in the dust and the bins will bust." Meaning, that a lack of rain in the spring will usually lead to steady rain through the rest of the year. Hopefully, that will be the case this year.

I have been very tempted to pull out the watering hose, but so far have refrained from watering anything. If we don't get the rain tonight/tomorrow, I will probably give everything a good soaking.

- Adam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_in_mn(4b)

Set up the hoses and started watering Friday. Hope we get a good soaking Sunday.

Paul

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 10:38PM
ginkgonut(4)

Did some transplanting and the soil is not particularly moist. Since most things don't have much for foliage at the moment, I am holding off. As things start to pop, and the if the dryspell continues, the new plants from last year will be getting a drink.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 6:36AM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Today(Sunday) RAIN - real honest to goodness RAIN with thunder even!

-Marie

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 11:25AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Yep, I asked John to walk the dog and lo and behold it rained. I wonder if I can rent them out as rainmakers?

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 11:27AM
adamterrie(4)

I'm getting some good rain here as well. The sound of rain hitting my roof never sounded so good. I guess I did not upset "the forces that be" too bad with my complaint about no rain. . .

I'm sorry "forces that be" - I will trust that you will give us the essentials that we need to effectively play in the dirt with our beloved plants . .

- Adam

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 1:38PM
wiley0(4a)

For what it is worth.

I sensed a lack of rain in the beginning of April here in St Paul so I got out the hose a little over a week ago. Glad I did cause the tulips were just beginning to show in the ground and on the north side of a fence there was still snow/ice. Well, I watered a few nights, just a little drink and within a few days, things started shooting up and the trees (small ones in a row) started budding way before the other trees on the street did. Now, today we got a good soaking rain but the grass seed I put down on the boulevard has a weeks head start and this rain now will make the soil damp for an inch or more down. I think I gave it a good head start.

Other bulbs are shoving thru the Earth now and this rain will only help them out more and I won't need to water for a week or more cause more rain is due mid week. Now, the ground is not warm enough to set out too many plants yet but for the early bloomers I think a little help doesn't hurt.

So, what is wrong with giving nature a hand when needed?

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 4:38AM
More Discussions
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™