full sun, fast growing, blooming hedge idea?

idafrances(4)April 24, 2008

Hi all,

I'm looking for a mix of plants to plant against a chain link fence to help create some privacy in the summer and fall. I was thinking lilacs or roses? I'm really open to anything that will grow quickly, be easy to care for and give off a bit of color.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginkgonut(4)

A few other possibilities:

Dogwoods
Viburnum, especially trilobum, is one of my favorites

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 7:06AM
heleninramsey

Refreshing to hear, "a mix of plants" it is so much more interesting than a single species hedge. I love Dwarf Korean Lilac... but don't let the term 'Dwarf' fool you, they grow quite large. Some of the newer, smaller, lilac cultivars are nice as well, 'Tinkerbelle' for example. Roses, shrub roses, are good color at high summer, weigela are good for spring and early summer blooms and year round foliage color, and you can also reap interest from things like 'Blueberry Muffin' Vibernum which have white flowers in spring and cool blue berries later on.

Have a ball! Helen.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 11:27PM
idafrances(4)

Thanks!!! I especially like the blueberry muffin viburnum!

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 10:07PM
cookiebabe

I have a mixed shrub hedge. I added hydrangeas, shrub roses, lilacs, snowball viburnum, weigela, and varigated red twig dogwood in accordence to the sun availability along my fence line. As the hedge grows I am using bee balm, rudebekia, coneflower to fill in the empty spaces. The perennials grew fast and spread making a thick hedge about three to four feet high with the shrubs poking out above them. Some of the shrubs are taller than others. Very satisfying if you don't mind the fact nothing is uniform. I have a lot of bird life as well. I will feel sad when the shrubs start shading out the perennials

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 2:49PM
idafrances(4)

Thanks cookiebabe! That sounds like just what a was looking for...a bit of everything. Now I just have to convince my husband that uniform is bad! Bad!

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™