Some mystery ferns--free to good home

DawnStorm(7/MD)May 14, 2007

My mother has these ferns growing in her front yard, and for reasons known only to her and the Lord above, she doesn't like them. Well, I offered to come dig 'em up and did so yesterday. Nice Mother's Day gift huh? Anyway, I have planted some, given some to my next-door neighbor, and are offering up the rest. You can see the photo in the link below. These ferns are (so far) about 15 inches high and get afternoon/evening sun at my mom's house. They have a pleasant, hay-y smell. My mother does have more of these that she wants me to dig up, but they're right in her lily of the valley patch and she doesn't want me tramping around in there while the lilies are in bloom. Heck, she was sweating bullets yesterday and fears that I have done her vinca major irreparable harm. Between now and the end of the summer, I will try to learn how to levitate so I can dig up the rest of the ferns without putting my big feet everywhere. Anyway, if and of you are at all interested in these ferns, or some hot pink/white morning glory seedlings, please e-mail me at DawnPalkaATverizonDOTnet.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spanaval

Dawn, those look like Sensitive Fern (Onoclea sensibilis). There is also a small possibility that it could be Netted Chain Fern since they tend to look alike, but the Sensitive Fern is much more common.

I would love some, but since you're in Maryland and I'm in Virginia, I'm going to assume that our paths are more than likely not going to cross in the near term.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fern ID

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 9:32AM
avoirgold(z7 MD)

Hi Dawn,

I would like to get some. Where in MD are you? I am in Columbia. I have a few things going on this weekend, but if you are close enough, it shouldn't be a problem.

Jen

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 10:10AM
DawnStorm(7/MD)

Avoirgold--I live in Wheaton. As Route 29 goes I'm probably about 30 minutes away from you. Depends on traffic of course. ;)
Suja, if you want to arrange a meeting place that's halfway between your house and mine, that would be OK, unless you're in a mood for a road trip.
I will most certainly be home on Saturday--that's Preakness Day and with coverage starting at noon on ESPN, I ain't goin' anywhere!

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 2:59PM
collectordi(z7VA)

Suja, if you want Sensitive ferns take mine please. I have
bunches and you know I'm much closer to you. If you're going to the Greenspring sale this Saturday I could bring some and give them to you there. Actually I guess that goes for anyone who wants them. Sorry Dawn if I'm stealing your Virginia customers.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 1:11AM
spanaval

Dawn, if your mom still has some come Fall swap, I'd be happy to take it off your (and her) hands. Di, I can't go to Greenspring (BOOOO!), but if you live anywhere near Merrifield in Fairfax, that'd be a good place to meet up. Otherwise, there is always the Fall swap.

At the moment, I love ferns. The deer don't eat them, and they're not Poison Ivy/Oak, Lonicera Mackii, japanese honeysuckle, multiflora rose.... That's what I have more than plenty of in my woodlands. I'm always envious of all these people that say 'I cleared up all the invasive stuff in my woodlands, and look at all the Trillium, bloodroot and other natives that popped up!'. I cleared my woodlands, and what I got was seedlings of all the invasive stuff I cleared up. By the thousands.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 10:31AM
collectordi(z7VA)

Suja, I could bring ferns to Garden Grandma's on June 17th. I should have brought more of them to the swap but I didnt get around to digging them.

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 1:10AM
giverny(z7 Maryland)

Hi Diana,

If you have some extras of the Sensitive Fern after giving Suja hers, I'd be happy to give them a new home! I'm also planning on being at Garden Grandma's on the 17th.

Mea

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 9:31AM
sundazing

Hi, Dawn, I think I am very close to you and have send you an email. I'd love some of your Mom's castaways if you have some left and have some things perhaps she or you would like. See your email.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 7:04AM
collectordi(z7VA)

Ok, Mea I'll bring as many as I can and hope I won't have to take any back home.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
elisa_z5
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
Article on Rain Garden design
Hope this is the right forum: This Philadelphia landscaper...
jkom51
Port Wenn flowers (Doc. Martin show)
I see these pink flowers on the side of the road often...
maple_man
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™