dwarf apple trees and italian cypress

dgs9r(z7 Baltimore, MD)May 16, 2007

Ok, they have nothing to do with each other, but I have questions about both.

I just got interested in these.

Anyone grow true dwarf apple trees on M-27 rootstock around here?

Do Italian Cypresses grow around here? If not, anything similar -- tall, columnar, etc.

Thanks

deepti

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandra_christie

I'm interested too. I just had a 200 year oak cut down, and suddenly I have sun. I'm thinking dwarf apple trees, because I have two beehives, and so far I've been able to find this, http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/onlinepublications.cfm#Vegetable%20and%20Herb%20Gardening
It's an online pub. from the MD Cooperative Extension Service about fruit trees.
It sounds like you know a bit about rootstock, I don't even know this much. If you make a selection, would you please share what, and why so I can learn?
Thanks

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 7:22AM
dgs9r(z7 Baltimore, MD)

Wow, a 200-year Oak! It must have left behind a *lot* of space! And a lot of feeling!

I stumbled on a description of dwarf apple trees in a book on kitchen gardening (called "Kitchen Garden"), and it recommended the M-27 as being a true dwarf. In the book, it was shaped into a single trunk with a flat canopy, and the whole thing looked about 3-4 feet tall. You can also shape into other shapes such as cordon, espalier, etc.

I contacted Raintree Nursery in WA, and they emailed back something about a "combo mini tree." I'm guessing it's two or three varieties on a single rootstock, so that you don't have to plant 2-3 different varieties for them to cross-pollinate. I haven't had the chance to follow up with them and verify.

I found your link to the Extension Service really helpful and wonder why I didn't think of it! I might call them first. The extension service listed Edible Landscaping of VA -- I might call them also.

I'll post on what I find out next week.
deepti

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 10:24PM
sandra_christie

Great! keep updating. Yes, this tree is (was)one of the main reasons we bought our little house. When people asked us about it, we could barely remember if there was a dishwasher / shower etc. we were just captivated by the tree. Oh well, sigh. Now we have sun in our backyard, and more possibilities.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 8:18AM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Edble Landscaping is very expensive (I would say overpriced)and half the stuff I bouoght from them died. There is a nice Amish-run nursey in Lancaster County where you can get a variety of trees, I think on different rootstocks. I can look up address if you're interested. Adams County Nursery is also a good source, but they don't have the super-dwarfing rootstock. But you can learn a lot from their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adams County Nursery

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
And my Insect Hotel
I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too...
CEFreeman
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
Bottle Trees & Evil Spirits
So I've been a busy bee this season. Thank goodness....
CEFreeman
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™