Anyone sell lilies at market?

diggerdee zone 6 CTAugust 17, 2008

I brought some beautiful lilies to market yesterday, and while a lot of people stopped by to look and compliment, not too many people bought.

I have to say I was surprised, because these flowers really were gorgeous and healthy. Does anyone here sell lilies, and if so, how well do you do with them?

Thanks,

Dee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxbarbie(pnw BC 5)

I sell stargazer lilies, usually at $5/stem (local florists charge $15/stem).
Last year, I sold out of them right away, this year, people think they are too pricey. I actually had a lady pay me for one stem and then grabbed two and took off while I was helping another customer! The crazy thing is this is a relativly small town. I know where she works, and I see her quite frequently. The nerve of people just blows me away!
Try bunching them with some other flowers to make bouquets. Even wildflowers, they will sell better that way.

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 11:12PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Wow, the nerve of some people! That's just sad. I'd like to think she was mistaken over the price of them, not just stealing...

I was selling mine for $3, which I thought was very reasonable. They had only one bud open, with several buds left. For $3 you'd be getting a week and a half of bloom, at least. Oh well.

Yes, this week I will try mixing a few other things in. I did that the previous week, just making bouquets with lilies in them, and they sold.

I'm actually not selling officially this year, due to health reasons. However, I help another vendor at her farm and at her booth, so I often bring along a few bouquets for her booth. This past week, I had so many lilies bloom at the same time, and it was kind of a last minute thing, so I just sold by the stem - not that I have a lot of other things to mix in with them anyway, at this point. I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Thanks for the response!
:)
Dee

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 5:19PM
mxbarbie(pnw BC 5)

unfortunatly she was not mistaken. She had come by and picked up 3 stems and then asked the price, when I told her $5/stem she said 'oh, no thank you' and put them back and walked away. She came back about 1/2 an hour later with $5 in hand and said she'd done her shopping and had money left for flowers...
I just wanted to chase her and ask her if she felt proud of herself taking food out of my babies mouths! (I didn't)

I don't have much of anything to make bouquets out of right now either, lots of ferns growing wild around here though, and goldenrod. Last year I bunched them with white hydrangea, but it's not producing very well this year. All my other flowers got mowed down to make more room for veggies ;) I got a little carried away!

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 1:37AM
More Discussions
2 monthes of houzzy
In less than 2 months since houzzy took over garden...
jnjfarm_gw
I had my best germination/seedling growth ever this year....
Well, instead of buying my plug mix this year, I made...
theripetomatofarm
help designing my irrigation system
Hello, quick introduction, My name is Ed and I have...
squashblossom12
Growing ginger in northern areas
This is my first year growing ginger, I have 10 pounds...
mdfarmer
Bed Shaper
Quick question, does anyone use a bed shaper? I am...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Sponsored Products
Colonial Mills Ticking Stripe Stair Tread - Oval - 8 x 28 in. - Set of 13 - TK10
$187.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Candice Olson Safari Tan 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Philips | Palette F3510 2 Light Bath Sconce
$250.00 | YLighting
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Polyresin Solar Powered LED Garden Elf Holdin
$16.98 | Home Depot
Ava Emerald Fabric Oak Dining Chair
bryght.com
New Oriental Area Rug Baluch Runner Hand Knotted Wool Tufts Blue Rug Free Pa
BH Sun Inc
Tannery Bronze Wall Sconce 1-Light
$30.00 | PLFixtures
Sportsman Series Propane 4000 Watt Generator
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™