Japanese Maples in Florida
I used these forums and others that were centered on discussing JMs for a long time as I tried to figure out what maples would do well in North Central Florida. I thought I'd make a post about some successful JMs here that get a LOT of full sun. I've only planted these in spring/early summer but with the worst weather behind us I can definately say that the following are capable of taking sun from morning to 2pm without much trouble in full florida sun.
1. The best so far has been Seiryu. Absolutely ZERO burn in morning -3pm full sun.
2. I put in an acer palmatum E.P. that has also done fantastically in sun from morning until 4pm.
3. Glowing Embers is another one I can vouch for with sun exposure from 7am until 5-6pm in full sun.
4. Sango kaku can handle the full suun here also and I have it thriving in morning until 3pm sun.
5. The following do quite fine in morning-2pm or so:
I had a LOT of trouble finding information on JMs for Florida so I thought I'd post my findings to help other people out and hopefully get more feedback. Good luck with JMs in the heat! Some of these babies can truly take the sun quite well! I am going to be planting Acer shirasawanum Jordan and a.p. Summer Gold in full sun this fall and will post some followups as my florida maple dream lives on :)