Is it too far...?

cfmuehling(7b DC/MD burbs)June 17, 2005

So have you guys seen the plant place in Staunton, VA called The Weird Dude's Plant Zoo?

He's having a HUGE sale because they're moving their greenhouse. It's only through the end of June.

It's just so hard to go to Virginia......

isn't it?

Christine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marymd7

I know I cross the Potomac only under extreme duress. ;-)

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 9:21AM
spanaval

Dear lord Christine, that's hitting waaay below the belt. What a dirty, rotten thing to do!

If you're going, let me know, 'kay?

Suja

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 10:12AM
Larry Kahn(7b)

This place is out in the boonies. Down I-81, and around 2.5 hours from the DC area.

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 10:52AM
Lesathummercrossing(z7MD)

They were at the Horticultural society sale. Just over the wilson bridge. I bought a few miniature things. There stuff really looked good.
Les
Clinton

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 7:33PM
Mandyvilla(7a No.VA)

Christine,
If you can make it to Manassas (2x), you can make it there! I haven't been to his place, but he was at the Green Springs sale and had wonderful things. Purchased quite a few things from him and all are doing great. I would head over if I weren't going out of town. Suz

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 9:15AM
sfmiller(z7 MD)

Come on, Christine....how can *anyone* resist a trip to a place called "The Weird Dude's Plant Zoo" that sells "new, cool & groovy plants"?

Put on your bell-bottoms, hop in the VW bus, and get out there!

Steven

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 9:33AM
Brent_In_NoVA(z7/6 VA)

I am just getting to the point where I can get the "plain and common" plants to live. I think I will have to pass on "new, cool & groovy" for now!!

- Brent

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 12:25PM
braspadya(z7a MD)

Thanks for posting your message, Christine! I was able to make a trip down there today & feel that it was well worth the trip. The fellow who runs the nursery is really knowledgable & quite friendly - not the aging hippie that I expected to find :-)

The sale prices make this a huge bargain. I was able to get a 2 gallon pot of variegated Fatsia japonica for $15. Lots of the stuff that I got was 4 to 6 dollars a pot; similar plants at Plant Delights can cost 15 to 20 dollars a piece.

So, if there is anything that catches your fancy in the catalog, I'd say go for it. They do ship. Or a road trip down there is possible to do in one day. It took me 3 hours each way from Silver Spring, not couting Beltway blues.

Happy growing!

Dan

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 12:51AM
More Discussions
Raspberries or Blackberries for northern VA
Hi, Well I posted something about honeyberries and...
zendog
Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?
Winter has killed several of the smaller varieties...
treehugger101
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Looking to add long blooming color to MD flower bed
Can anyone recommend a colorful perennial flower or...
kelly21409
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™