Have This Year's Iris Bloomed In Maryland?

missmaryJune 16, 2011

I moved into a new house last fall and am going through my first year of identifying the plants in the yard. I was gone all through the month of May, and one week of June, so I missed seeing what bloomed then.

I have what I think are iris growing in part of the yard - but now I'm not so sure.

Since I want to move the iris away where they are at, I started digging them up, and they just seem to be green stems with roots. I haven't rinsed the soil off the roots, but I don't see obvious rhizomes sticking out from in there - just green stems attached to roots.

Is there a chance they aren't iris? Could they be an ornamental grass?

The green stems are growing in the shape of a circle (not a ball) with nothing in the middle. Is that normal?

I think there is a leftover stem of a dead bloom on a couple of these plants.

How do iris do in shade?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cheesecake983(7a)

My irises are new-ish plants, given to me by family and my husband's boss last fall. I planted them quickly so they would bloom this year. Only one did, but the others are healthy with nice foliage. My one iris to bloom budded at the end of April and opened at the beginning of May. I noticed irises around town blooming around the same time. My irises are growing in full sun, but I know that my mother's iris (in Indiana) grow in partial sun, under her lilac bushes.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 7:41AM
sonnyside

I have Iris's in two different places in my yard and neither one bloommed this year. I have no reason as to why.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 8:57AM
karyn1(7a)

My iris bloomed a while back. The ones that end up shaded don't bloom well for me so I move them to a sunnier spot. What didn't bloom were my lilacs and I noticed that none of my akebias bloomed either (3 different varieties). I've heard from a number of people about their lilacs not blooming and noticed that there were none (or very few) in any yards in Mont. or Howard counties this spring.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 5:57PM
kimka(Zone 6B)

Could what you have be candy lily or blackberry lily? Neither have the tuber that iris have and do better in more shade than iris does. They also have similar foliage. My blackberry lily has not bloomed yet this year. My irises bloomed back in May.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Nellie Stevens trees turning brown and dry. Help!
Just joined and am writing in hopes of getting some...
nadya1972
Lariope and Japanese Forest Grass in Zone 7B
Relieved to have found this group! Just cut back my...
khaines1
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry K
waiting for spring!
I am so looking forward to Spring! I took a peek at...
busyasabee
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
Sponsored Products
Quoit Set - 4 lbs. Quoits
Fifthroom.com
Sherpa Tote Around Town Boston Pet Carrier - Medium - Tweed 94279 - 94279
$73.99 | Hayneedle
Martha Stewart Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Martha Stewart Living Rugs Full Bloom
Home Depot
Southern Enterprises Narita Espresso Media Console with Electric Fireplace Dark
$529.98 | Hayneedle
48" Southern Yellow Pine Terrace Bench
Fifthroom.com
Foremost Shower Enclosures Tides 23 in. to 25 in. x 65 in. Framed Pivot Shower
Home Depot
Regal Button Tufted Beechwood 30 in. Bar Stool - Upholstered Seat - 2420TFT-30-M
$429.99 | Hayneedle
Missoni Home | Oviedo Outdoor Pillow 24x24
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™