Pot for replanting Japanese Maples

macknkssSeptember 26, 2012

I've been reading these forums trying to figure out what a good planter size would be for an aconitofolium and all red lace leaf JM. The trunk diameter of the acon is 1" and it's 2 feet tall, the all red is .5" and it's a little over 1 foot tall. They are currently in pots that are 10" wide, 12" tall.

I bought the pots in the link below but am worried they are to shallow at only 6" deep and 20" wide. Will these work for 2 years or so? How deep does it need to be if not. Thanks,

Mack

http://www.lowes.com/pd_251792-85808-TLBWL-BLK_0__?productId=3273695&Ntt=planter&pl=1ätURL=%3FNtt%3Dplanter&facetInfo=

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Nice pot but not what I'd consider very appropriate for your trees. You might be able to do the red laceleaf in this for a season but that's about it. The Aconitifolium is too big already and will only get bigger.

I grow all of my JM's in containers and I tend to err on the generous side, simply because I am not fond of root pruning or repotting too frequently. It would help to know the rootball size now - I tend to pot up 1G plants into 2 or 3G containers right away and leave them for a couple of seasons. I then move them up to larger containers for a more permanent home - typically something at least 20-24" in diameter and close to the same depth.

One other factor you want to think about - in addition to being an adequate size for the root mass, you want your containers to be of appropriate scale or proportion to the tree - too shallow a container looks weird for a taller tree. Like a bonsai that has run amok!!

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 3:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macknkss

Thanks for the advice gardengal, a larger size is probably better. I just ordered this from Rite Aid, all their garden stuff is 50% off with free shipping now.

http://www.riteaidonlinestore.com/Marchioro-USA-Inc-Osaka-Planter/dp/B008MOMFHC?field_availability=-1&field_browse=3003305011&field_keywords=planter&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Marchioro+USA+Inc+Osaka+Planter-&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchKeywords=planter&searchNodeID=3003305011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???
Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read...
sam268
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™