Autumn Blaze or October Glory?

cathy_caSeptember 18, 2008

Our old and large red oak (60' wide) has died and will be removed, leaving a hole in the backyard landscape. Am considering a maple for our full sun, clay soil location. Any thoughts about the autumn blaze or october glory maples? Pros and cons or other suggestions welcome. We are in the San Francicsco bay area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

October Glory has exceptional fall color characteristics.

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 11:46PM
kaitain4(7)

October Glory, being a red maple (also called 'swamp maple') may fare better in your clay soil, which is subject to being water logged. I had an 'Autumn Blaze' and it got a little damage on the trunk. It quickly rotted out and was infested with borers! Since it has a Silver Maple parent, it has weaker wood and thin bark. It grows faster than an October Glory, but I think the October Glory is a far superior tree and one that will last in your landscape.

K4

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 10:51AM
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

Personally, Autumn Blaze. Grows faster, is half red maple, and handles wet clay soil just fine as long as it is not standing in water. It is much more drought resistant, and colors earlier and longer in the fall. There are large numbers of them in my area, and suffer very little wind/winter storm damage. They are dense trees foilage trees which can be good or bad depending upon your perspective. With that said, if you want lesser density, and more break resistance, but keeping the other properties of Autumn Blaze, then consider Autumn Fantasy instead. More of a ruby red fall color, and is purported in the patent application to be very resistant to winter damage. It is also a silver.red maple hybrid. Originates from a tree in Illinois if I remember correctly. I have both, and LOVE them. JMHO

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 10:52PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Why the oak died could be an important point.

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 12:50PM
appalotranch(z7NC)

Here is a recent picture of my Autumn Blaze, it was on of the first trees to turn colors and the picture was taken on 10/04/2008. The tree was planted about two years ago come late fall, and I think it is just beautiful. -Ivy

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t59/appalotranch/AutumnBlaze10053012.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: App-A-Lot Ranch

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 4:06PM
twrosz

Both my sister and I had planted Autumn Blaze ... they had colored up nicely, though had lost nearly all the foliage even before any frost had touched them, we are disappointed the color had not lingered ... the trees are otherwise healthy.

Terry

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 12:31AM
rhodamd

I cannot decide between the October Glory or Autumn Blaze maple trees.
We will plant 2 trees in our large front yard. We are in zone 7 and are new to Chapel Hill, NC so your recommendations are welcome. I want a tree that is going to be a brighter red or orange vs. a burgundy. I prefer brighter reds than a dark burgundy. One of the maples will be planted about 12' from driveway and would that be a problem?
Also, which tree will flower sooner and stay on for a longer period of time. Thanks for your advice.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™