What is wrong with my Maple Tree (pics)

huisman98September 2, 2008

I'm in Raleigh, NC. I moved into my house two years ago. The maple tree pictured below was already planted in the yard. I feel like the foliage is not a "thick" as it was two years ago. I also noticed a few dead looking branches with little or no leaves. In general this tree looks kind of sick to me. Any ideas on what is wrong and what I can do about it. I have tried to remove the soil from around the trunk to expose the root flare, but it seems like there are a lot of fiberous roots all voer the surface and I fear I will do more harm than good trying to remove the soil. We have hard red clay here in NC. However, I know it is bad to have the trunk buried like this. I know this could be the issue. If so what can I do about it. Could the sick look of the tree be due to another reason?

Thanks for the help! I really don't want to lose this tree!

Picture of thinning looking maple tree

Close-up of some bare and dead looking branches

Close-up of trunk (How do I safely expose the root flare?)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

The planting looks perfect. Keep the mulch, it was planted both correctly and the mulch is an asset in many ways.

It looks to me like your best bet would be to remove any branches that are dead and move on, literally. I'm not being loud to you but rather the opposite.

Great tree,

Dax

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 10:50AM
diene(Z4ME)

There does not seem to be anything wrong with that tree, I think it may look thinner because it is growing taller and spreading out.
All of my trees have limbs that die, why I have no idea but most plants do have some stunted growth.
Enjoy.
diene

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 8:32PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

ditto. Sometimes climate or flowering cycles can play a role I figure. Seems in the years my ash trees seed heavily they leaf out a little less. Also some years trees grow less because of climate issues we can't do anything about.

I'd love to have that tree in my yard though.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 2:12AM
More Discussions
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™