Training/Pruning JM Waterfall

lpalesSeptember 21, 2008

I just bought a JM Waterfall and it is about 4' tall. It was staked when I got it. I removed the stake per recommendations from the sales rep. However, it's put up a new leader and based on what I've read in the forum, I believe it should be re-staked until it reaches the height I want. But, and here's my question. Should I prune it into a tree or let it stay bushy so it becomes a large rounded mound? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Most of the photos on the internet show it as a tree but I thought it was supposed to be a bush. ??? Staking it again will depend on whether or not it's supposed to be a tree. If it's supposed to be a tree then I think it needs to be taller. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjchermack

Hi lpales--- I think you can do whichever you want here. There are several Japanese maples that if left alone will form a weeping mound. But, if you want it to gain some height, then you need to stake it and train a leader up.

So, I think you can do either in this case, it just depends if you prefer a tree or a shrub.
Tom

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™