Leatherwood All Sold

karenn3(z4)May 14, 2006

Drat, the elusive dirca escaped again. I went Saturday afternoon and all were sold, But I discovered that this vendor bought all his supply from Outback. Next year I will place an order in December. But thank you, Rick, though I didn't find the plant I learned something about supply and demand in MN and my own indecisiveness.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leaveswave(.)

Bummer. Nice-looking plant. Did you check if Outback will have more yet this year?

Bookmark   May 14, 2006 at 10:42AM
karenn3(z4)

Yes, when I called, the sales guy said no more for the season. Leatherwood grows so slowly that I'd splurge on a larger plant and not many nurseries have them in larger pots. Last year we drove to Outback to buy other native plants and they said they sold them all at the end of April. I wonder if contractors, landscapers buy them, not individuals. As an aside I don't have a handle on Outback and their mission. Perhaps they are
not really oriented towards the small buyer. Just a thought as I've only been there once and have to acknowledge that their inventory is great. Do you have greater experience with them and even their mailorder business? Their catalog doesn't indicate supply status.

Bookmark   May 14, 2006 at 11:39AM
leaveswave(.)

I've been a few times and have gotten the impression that while they are very welcoming of the individual buyer, they also do a lot of "larger" business I think.

You might try calling the Arb. I hear they maintain some kind of database of which growers/nurseries sell which trees, so you might luck out and find a source for this year. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 14, 2006 at 7:19PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

I feel terrible about the leatherwood. I wonder if someone had bought a whole mess of 'em at once, and depleted the inventory.

I suppose the sign is still there at Outback for Tennant something(Landscaping, I think). Do you remember seeing such a sign? The two companies are affiliated and may have the same owner. So I am also guessing there is more to Outback than just retail sales.

The MN Landscape Arboretum Library does indeed have a good data base for finding who sells what plant. I don't see why you couldn't just call the Arb library and ask for the info.

Rick

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Prepper Expo gardening class
I will be teaching the seed saving classes at the Survival...
little_minnie
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
Sponsored Products
Estel | Vienna Chair, Set of 2
YLiving.com
Folding 4-shelf Corner Bakers' Rack
Overstock.com
Homecrest Cirque Aluminum Cushion Side Adjustable Chaise
LuxeDecor
Roll & Hill | Superordinate Antler Chandelier - 27 Antler Ring
YLighting
King Crown Bottle Stopper
$59.50 | FRONTGATE