Ash Borer

kaptainkr(4a)May 19, 2009

Looks like last week the emerald ash borer was discovered in St. Paul. I guess we all knew it would be here eventually but I figured it would have been a few more years. I personally have 2 green ash in my yard that will eventually be replaced. I plan on planting two smaller trees near the ash, so that when the time comes they will (hopefully) be established. I just can't justify the expense and risk it would take in treating them. Any other thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

I've often thought of Green Ash as just another weed tree so it won't be missed here by me.
I would much rather see folks planting Catalpa in their boulevards. Really gorgeous blooms in June.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 5:44PM
elleni(4a)

We have a Green Ash in our South Mpls yard that's about 65-75 years old and 7' 8" around. I would hate to lose it! I just happened to have a tree guy come out today to talk about proactively treating it. Treatment would be round $250 and has to happen annually (at least until they find a way to eradicate the bug-- which basically means forever). He thought we'd be safe waiting until the Fall to start regular treatments. I did a little reading about the insecticide Imidacloprid. It is sold under several brand names, including Merit and Xytect. It has me a bit worried-- particularly the mention of a "possible link to derangement of behavior in domesticated honeybees."

I, too, was thinking of planting a young tree in my Ash's shadow just in case. I really like where the tree is now. How close can you plant a young tree next to a mature one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Imidacloprid @ Wikipedia

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 9:37PM
tom_mn(z4b_MN)

I would not listen to a tree man. Read the link below and decide treatment for yourself. Treatment is less successful on older trees. You can certainly do the treatments yourself.

I used to think of ash as a weed tree-- until I bought a house with 20 of them. I'm hoping that the insect release progam that has been successful in Michigan can be started here next year. Sounds like it will solve the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: emerald ash borer bulletin

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 11:55PM
elleni(4a)

Thanks for the link, tom. I understand some over-used trees may be thought of as weeds, but any landscape tree 65+ years old and over 30 feet tall is worth saving. Its at least worth investigating options.

We only have two trees on our city lot (not counting the boulevard trees), the other is huge white pine. If the ash was a small, 10-15 yr old tree, I'd just plant a replacement near it and wait to see what comes.

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Is this rose bush?
Hi, we had a rose bush (or two) among other bushes...
Mary_AnneTM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™