Brugmansia in zone 4

Trude123(minnesota 4)May 30, 2014

I haven't been able to garden for a couple of years but thankfully now I can. Anybody in zone 4 growing Brugmansia. Thanks to a Brug lover on that forum I have been able to get a few plants. I've had good luck with them in the past and would like to know any tips someone might have in growing them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bitterwort

I grow mine in a very large pot, plenty of sun, water, and fertilizer. I used to dig out the rooted portion and bring it into the basement to overwinter it, but I'm too lazy and don't have room for that any more. What I do now is take a bunch of cuttings of mature stem portions (be very sure to wear gloves so you don't poison yourself) and stick them in a pail of water in the basement out of the light for the winter. When it gets warm enough, I put the pail outside to start adjusting to higher light levels and then put the cuttings in the big pot in the sun and watch for them to go. By later summer, the cuttings are full of blooms.

There's a guy in Richfield who takes a big rooted portion inside every year and hauls it out to a big raised bed. He gets a giant bush that is loaded with blossoms all over in late summer.

Have fun!

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 10:28PM
mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)

I've grown brugs in SEMN for @20 years...in large nursery pots then cut back and winter over in cool basement. I used to take cuttings in the fall but it just really got 'old' after a while. I injured both legs last fall and am in the midst of surgeries to hopefully get more mobile so couldn't get to the basement this winter and lost a number.......but will keep the 'nonresponders' potted as I've had an apparenty dead plant come back in the past. they need to be watered daily...automation is great if you can afford it and they are heavy feeders. Keep an eye out for swaps here as I'm not the only person w brugs and they do show up at the swaps...as well as lots of other good stuff.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 2:16PM
Trude123(minnesota 4)

Thanks Bitterwort. I like the idea of taking cuttings in the fall and sticking them away. I have done cuttings and kept them upstairs but would rather be able to ignore them for the winter. Sorry about your setback mantorvillain. I had both hips replaced and lost my brugs thru that. I will pull my old dead potted brug roots out and see what happens. Back several years I did get cuttings from the Brugs forum. I would love to go to a swap. Anyone have a favorite fertilizer?

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Prepper Expo gardening class
I will be teaching the seed saving classes at the Survival...
little_minnie
Fairy Garden
If there is anyone that knows anything about fairy...
Minnesota_Grandma
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Sponsored Products
Muse Red Four-Light Chandelier with Bordeaux/Red Royal Cut Crystals
$736.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Area Rug: Wyndham Blue/Multi 4' x 6'
Home Depot
Joy Carpets Snookered Area Rug - 1510-B-EMERALD
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Wave Zig Zag Giclee Nickel 20 1/4" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Vogue 4-lt Table Lamp
LBC Lighting
Corner Sinks White Vitreous China, Corner French Provincial Belle Epoque White S
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Walnut, 4'2" x 11'7" Runner Rug M1780-146
Darya Rugs
Timber Table by Gus Modern
$199.75 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™