Red Maple with yellowed, spotted leaves

cara5610October 5, 2008

Does anyone know what is wrong with my tree? The leaves on my young October Glory red maple are turning yellow and have small, black spots on them. At first, I thought it was a problem with drought/not enough water. But the spots concerned me. Is it some kind of disease or pest problem?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Look up maple tar spot to see if it might be that. It could also be something else, of course.

The poor fall color would be due to conditions the tree has experienced this season, perhaps next year it will do better - this introduction is known for coloring well despite unsuitable conditions.

I bought a 'Red Rage' nyssa this fall. It is still in the pot and got dried out a couple times since I bought it, causing it to droop (but not shrivel or burn). The leaves turned yellow and gradually fell off, from the bottom up.

I went back to the nursery and the rest of the 'Red Rage' still there are still in leaf, with a few of them starting to turn red. So apparently the drying out caused mine to behave out-of-character this time. Presumably next year, after having been in the ground for months it will turn red, later in the season.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™