Japanese Maple bark peeling

Eugene10October 11, 2013

Hi all,
Have this japanese maple (love it) at my house. Noticing the bark coming off. Wonding if I should worry?

thx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Yes. That is not a good sign. The occluded branch growth, the tight crotch and the weeping canker all spell some sort of rot occurring. How unhealthy and unsafe the tree actually may be difficult to tell from just photos. Suggest you hire a certified arborist to come out and look at the tree, diagnose problem fully and make suggestions. Removal is a distinct possibility.

Do not just ignore. It could become a liability.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 3:18PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I agree with GardenGal. In addition to what she said, there's bugs eating the tree. Notice the fresh sawdust.
I'd enjoy the Fall color and then cut it down.
Mike

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 9:10AM
gardengal48

Mike, I think the sawdust is the result of the removal of that occluded branch going off through the middle - the cut looks fresh :-)) Nevertheless, this tree is not in good shape........sorry.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 1:44PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Yes, Pam, I see it now as a fresh cut. I wondered where that branch went. Duh.
Thanks.
Mike

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 8:34AM
Eugene10

thanks for your help....I love the tree and it anchors the corner of my house. I will try to post the results when the arborist gets in.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:18AM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

That extra smaller branch looks like a trouble maker. I can imagine myself out there with a dremel tool trying to remove it and clean uo any loose bark.

Good news is this is a Japanese maple and if it fails they are not typically large enough to create an insurance claim! My bet is the arborists tries to clean up that rotted area and see if the tree has enough vigor to encapsulate it. I think I see the bark regrowing further down in the photo. If he suggests any type of sealer I would be curious as to what it is. My understanding is that stuff is more hopes and dreams than science even if it obviously would benefit from a cure rot cure.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™