Help I need suggestions for ground cover in wet soil

walley(7)June 15, 2005

I have a problem with wet clay soil, in full sun in my back yard. I need something in the front of the boarder. At present I have Louisiana Irises, Monarda, Lobelia, day lilies, but need something low that flowers and likes it very moist. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Creeping Jenny is great, although the flowers aren't too thrilling. I like the yellowish green variety. Chameleon plant is great if you don't mind REALLY invasive.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 11:07PM
paste592(6bMD)

I'll definitely second watergal on the creeping jenny -- and it is such a lovely plant, who cares if it ever flowers.

But the chameleon (houttuynia) is invasive even under dry conditions (I love invasives in general, and have some houttuynia in my rock garden) ~~ if kept moist, it turns into The Monster that Ate The Garden. After it finishes covering the flowerbed, it'll eat the lawn, too.

Rather than a groundcover, how about one of the dwarf grasses -- there's a carex that loves it wet

Pat

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 9:55PM
kategardens

Mazus reptans has worked well for me in these conditions. It flowers purple or white ('alba') mostly in the spring, with some intermittent summer flowers. I actually have this mixed in with the yellow ('aurea') creeping jenny that watergal mentions above, so there is bright color even when there are no flowers. I think that Vinca minor, which also flowers in spring, would also do okay in your conditions. Both the creeping jenny and the vinca minor spread quickly, but are fairly easy to keep in check in my yard by pulling here and there. In a completely different vein (annual), I wonder if New Guinea impatiens -- i.e., the kind that like sun -- would mind wet feet; might be something to explore, if flowers rather than foliage is the main concern. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 11:56PM
GeeDavey

Might try ceratostigma plumbaginoides. Fall flowering with red foliage color. I love it and it will do well in wet sunny sites.

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
Flowers that will bloom by June 20th in Zone 7a?
Getting married June 20th and want to grow some of...
Morcar21
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™