Rhododendron & Yew

cnord(4)May 20, 2007

The Rhod. is probably about 15 yrs old. Bloomed beautifully this year. I would say it is about 5 ft tall. Suddenly it is wilting/dying. I have been very good about keeping it watered in our dry, windy weather. Do they have a short life span? Cant rem the variety but it is the one recommended for our climate, lavender flowers. I have had them before and if I remember they didnt live very long either.

Also, when is the best time to trim a Yew? Never can rem' if you wait for the new growth to harden or trim it before then. It is a very tall upright, one that I love but is now taking over the neighbors sidewalk! I thought I would try to shape it a little so that it fits its own space and not everyone elses!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Have you put on some Epsom salts on the rhodie? Give it a tablespoon sprinkled around the base and water it in. Also a dose of Miracid would not be amiss! If those don't perk it up, don't loose hope just yet... it is a natural response to the excessive heat and dry we've had.

Rhodies if fed and taken care of can live to be a hundred easily in the Pacific Northwest, so why not here? :)

-Marie

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 11:29AM
cnord(4)

Thanks Marie-never tried the Epsom salts. And I know what you mean about the long lived rhodies elsewhere. I am originally from Penna and we used to have them as big as a garage. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 7:37PM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Epsom salts should be applied every-other year in low doses. That family of plants needs the extra magnesium :)

-Marie

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Identify this plant please.
I found this plant at some one's home, outdoors. They...
ju1234
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™