The weather here is cooling down quickly and I took advantage of a day between harvests to get the garlic in early this year.
I've upped the planting from last year and my body wasn't looking forward to crawling along like I do every year to plant. So I put together a few things to help mechanize the planting.
I thought i'd post some pics in case someone else wants to get creative.
The first thing is the ugliest thing i've ever made. I admit it looks more like something from a horror movie than a farming tool. It's a rolling dibbler, which marks out the spacing for the garlic to be planted. My welds are only so-so, but it did hold together. It's non-adjustable but I can use it for spacing garlic and leeks.
The next thing was simple. Two foot-rests that bolt onto the bottom of the tractor bucket. Here are my helpers riding in comfort just above the bed they're planting.
I had it easy and just drove, realllly slowwww.
All said, it took us about 5 hours to plant 275 lbs of garlic.