Columbine Flower

pandalovesyou(USA)May 1, 2010

I bought a pre-established columbine flower from a nursery about two years ago. It did fine the first summer and then came back beautifully last summer. So far this spring, I have seen no sign of it although the new one I bought last spring is already starting to bloom.

Should I consider it a lost cause, or should I be patient and wait a little longer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I would be surprised if it will come back this year. I have had some absent on year and back the next. I would suggest giving it a bit more time.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 7:03PM
rubybaby43(z4 MN/n. metro)

If I remember correctly, Columbine have a pretty short lifespan but will reseed themselves if they are happy with their location. I don't know if that's the case with yours....but I'd give it time. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Good luck!
Kristy :)

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 9:27PM
mandolls(4)

Most Columbine are bi-annuals and only live two-three years. I grew them from seed last year, they stayed small and spindly with no flowers, but this year they are already almost the size of the greenhouse / container grown plants I have seen in the garden centers - I will have 40 columbines !! I have more seeds started now for next years crop. My neighbor says that hers just re-seed themselves every year, but if you only have one or two planted, or are an aggressive weeder in the spring, then you may miss out.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 7:56AM
doucanoe

I have several columbine and most are doing very well. However the "Denver Gold" variety I bought last summer did not come back, nor did the two deep blue ones I got at swaps a few years ago.

Very weird, especially the blue ones. But my "Raspberry Pixie" daylily that I got from Suzie about 5 years ago did not come back this spring and it has bloomed happily in the same spot for all those years!

Stufff like that always amazes me.

Linda

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Identify this plant please.
I found this plant at some one's home, outdoors. They...
ju1234
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™