Best Seed Selection?

carmellia(z 4 Minn)May 24, 2006

Would you please take the time to post any place you can think of that has a better than average selection of seed?

I am looking for CASTOR BEAN seed (misplaced the ones I saved last year) and PEARL ONION (or wax onion) seeds. Last year, I paid almost $8 for 1 pkg of pearl onion seed. $2.75 for the seed and $4.95 shipping.

I live in Kenyon, but someplace in the Faribault area or the Hastings area or St. Paul area would also be very handy for me.

Am I the only one who thinks that the variety of seeds available from the rack has been steadily shrinking from year to year? I can remember seeing seeds for lots of things I had never even heard of. Now, it is just the most basic seeds - both vegetable and flower.

Thanks a lot. I've GOT to have my pearl onions but I won't pay another $8 for a package of seed. Carmellia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loodean

Hi Carmellia Â

I live in near Mantorville, so weÂre practically neighbors! I donÂt know any place in our neck-of-the-woods that sell pearl onions specifically. I am unclear if pearl onions are a specific type or just a common variety that might be a short day instead of a long day. I have been growing a variety of onions for years, but have always used either plants or seeds. I dislike using sets (the bulbs); they never make really good onions and they store poorly. The best source I have found for seeds is on the Internet from Harvest Moon Farms at http://www.felcopruners.net/Onion%20Seed%20-%20Spring.0.html The BarlettaÂs might do well. If you are using the pearls for pickling you might try Cippolini for a change, I have pickled them many times and people love them. Unfortunately seeds need to be started fairly early, like in February. For storage onions, I always plant Copra because they can store for up to a year in the right conditions. I use plants and get them from Dixondale at http://www.dixondalefarms.com/products.htm. I actually have several bundles left over that you can have if you want to come get them.

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 8:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carmellia(z 4 Minn)

Thanks for the info and suggestions. The pearl onions are sometimes called wax onions too. I think it is just a type of onion. They are very small - about the size of a little button mushroom. Sometimes they are used in cocktails - Gibsons I think. I love them pickled.

I thank you for the offer of your extra onions, but I have finally given up trying to grow the full sized variety. I have never ever had luck with them. For some reason, those little wax onions are so much easier to grow. Carmellia

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™