Weekend Freeze

greenthumbelina7(Z4)May 10, 2010

I am wondering about my plants health after this weekends cold temps. I covered the ones that I was worried about on friday night but had no idea it was supposed to freeze last night. Unfortunately, I planted a whole lot of stuff yesterday. Should I be worried about those since they are just seeds, no growth whatsoever? I'm hoping everything will be fine. Can seeds survive a freeze?

Also my strawberry plant has 2 flowers on it, can I assume these will die?

Thanks,

Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adamterrie(4)

I live in Prior Lake, and the temperatures hit 30 degrees on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I just have a lot of perennials. However, I was still quite worried since all the plants are a good two to four weeks ahead of schedule because of the warm weather in March/April. At first blush, the plants looked like they handled the cold temperatures pretty well. On closer look, it appears that many of my iris buds have freeze damage and will likely not bloom. Also, my flax took a bit of a hit. It is still blooming, but looks a little ragged . . life in Minnesota . . .

- Adam

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 2:38PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

Tina, a freeze won't hurt your seeds.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 3:16AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

My plants all look good. I had the veggies covered, but nothing else.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 9:10AM
greenthumbelina7(Z4)

Thank you! You have no idea how much of a relief that is to hear. I hope everything else is okay, for everyone else too!

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 12:38PM
northwoodswis(4)

On the evening news, they were interviewing a strawberry grower. He was asked how you know if the frost has hurt the strawberries. He said if the center of the blossom turns black. I have noticed that a number of my uncovered strawberries and even a few of the straw-covered ones in my large bed look that way. Otherwise, just looking at the plants, you would never know anything was the matter with them. I didn't even see any frost in our yard in Hudson, WI, but there must have been some in my garden. I look at it as thinning; maybe the remaining good berries will be larger. Northwoodswis

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 1:28PM
greenthumbelina7(Z4)

I checked my strawberries last night and have no black centers so I'm hoping all is well. Thanks for the input!

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™