Kentucky Wonder beans lost their snap?

2ajsmamaSeptember 4, 2013

I just picked this weekend, again yesterday and they seemed fine but I did notice yesterday a few that seemed to be a little limp, though not terribly big. Today picked a lot, again not huge/long but they seem a little bendy - not crisp. We got about 3" of rain this weekend, temps have been 60's at night, low 70's during the day. What could be causing this? I don't know if I even want to sell anything picked today - stuck them in fridge to see if they'd crisp up, I could try ice water.

Going to have a cold front going through - 41-42 predicted fro early Friday AM (here that could mean high 30's -40). Going to cover the tomatoes and peppers with some Reemay that's hanging on the fence to keep deer from beans.

Could that be the problem now that days are getting shorter? Reemay shading the east side of the beans? It's been there a couple of weeks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

Soak those beans in ice water, or shell them. Has it been awhile since you had rain before the last rain? That could be the problem. Days getting shorter shouldn't be the problem. Nor the Remay.

Of course, I'm not the expert on pole beans, but I've seen another vendor that swears by them, his would get that way if it's been dry.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:59AM
2ajsmama

Well, we had 5" of rain on Aug 9 but not too much since then (I did water) until the 26th - and then the 31st, the 1st (2.5" that day!), and the 2nd. But July was much drier so I don't understand why now (when they're just getting going)?

Bush Blue Lake are ending but they're still crisp.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 12:44PM
myfamilysfarm

Sorry, don't have the answer. I haven't done pole beans since I can remember.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Winter market 2015
Last week during the first winter thaw here I cut forsythia...
jebfarm
Other farming forums???
Does anyone know of any other active farming/market...
rrleesb
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™