Tulips that don't bloom

mackie80(z4a MN)May 2, 2006

Does anyone know why tulips will produce the green foliage but not any blooms? My mother has this problem and is wondering what to do to fix it.

-Shawna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Replace them. Most tulips have a very short lifespan, 2-4 years and some only one, in MN. Some varieties will bloom for decades. Yellow and Red Emperor, and Menton do VERY well for longer periods as do some of the "wild" tulip varieties.

-Marie

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 7:28PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

I read once, in a tulip grower's catalog, that they dug up their tulips every summer and replanted them in the fall in order to keep them in good shape. I'm not sure what it does for them and anyway, that's more work then I want to do (otherwise I'd be growing glads and cannas and calla lilies) but it might be interesting to experiment and dig up part of them then replant in the fall and compare what those did to the ones that weren't dug up.

I belive the Darwin's are supposed to last for many years, so long as you don't cut the leaves off after they are done blooming.. at least not for a while.

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 10:13PM
mackie80(z4a MN)

That makes sense, except for the fact that they were brand new bulbs just received from Brecks and planted in the fall. Does that really happen to new bulbs?

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 10:23PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Do you know it they are late blooming tulips? I have some that are May blooming.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 8:05AM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Well they are either late blooming (I have some just barely coming in amongst my insane exploding ones right now) or... you know they LOVE bone meal, did she plant them with either bone meal or a bulb food of some sort when she put them in? Were the very small bulbs? If they were particularly small they may not be mature enough this year to bloom and should do so next spring. Again, scrape a little bone meal or bulb food around them before winter and they *should* take off next spring.

-Marie

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™