Successful edges?

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)May 31, 2010

Hey there, I just spent the last couple hours cleaning quack grass out of the garden again. I HATE quack grass! This got me wondering, what have been successfull garden edges for people? Now mind you I do not live in town, I live out in the country, and trust me I have more weeds and quack than those who live in town.

I have tried a few things, but they only work for a little while, maybe a year, if I am luckly 2!

Jenny P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoghaven_duluthmn

Friends are quite happy with cement blocks. They also use alot of cardboard for mulch. I used to have access to lumber and frequently used 2x6's placed on side. You still have trouble where the edges meet, and so I guess it would be better to use in conjunction with the plastic mulch. I often thought about just digging a bit of trench and pouring concrete straight into it without forms, but a poured concrete curb would probably be ideal.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 1:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoghaven_duluthmn

Sometimes it is a lot of fun being resourceful in the country. I was thinking about your edging, and I recalled I once used broken up chunks of an old barn foundation as an edging around my garden. It had the look of an old rubble ruin, which I guess it was, but I put a water garden there and a perennial bed, and it had sort of a timeless mysterious look to it. I would go around the edge with Round-Up when it needed it. Sometimes having a big country yard can be overwhelming with the upkeep.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™