Planting spring bulbs (Chionodoxa forbesii Blue Giant) in lawn

lvmygrdn2July 3, 2011

I am thinking of planting some low growing bulbs in the lawn this fall. Have you tried this? What worked for you? Thanks for your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chionodoxa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynnt(Z7 MD)

About 10 years ago I bought 100 scilla sibirica, 50 tommy crocuses, and 50 chionodoxia, tossed them out into my part-shade yard, and planted them wherever they landed. It was easy; I just stuck a trowel in vertically, pulled it back, stuffed a bulb in the hole and pushed the hole shut with the heel of my hand.

The crocuses got eaten by squirrels pretty fast, but the rest have prospered, and my husband loves that I wont let him mow until they have faded, usually in mid-April. The sapphire-colored scilla are especially nice, set off by half as many white chionodoxia. Pushkinia might work too, but they bloom later in my beds than I would want to leave the lawn unmowed for.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 10:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lvmygrdn2

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering about the mowing but I love the look. I went crazy ordering bulbs this year. I told myself I was not going to order more bulbs but I can't resist. :-) I think I will give it a try. They aren't expensive and the squirrels leave them alone.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 5:26AM
More Discussions
Eastern Filbert Blight
I am interested in purchasing Corylus avellana 'Contorta'...
colleensworld
Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??
Hi. I would love to plant a bunch of Nandina "Plum...
reddbuffalo
My new bed (Hugelkultur & Lasagna Gardening)
So last week I put this thing together. I used materials...
CEFreeman
Bottle Trees & Evil Spirits
So I've been a busy bee this season. Thank goodness....
CEFreeman
Article on Rain Garden design
Hope this is the right forum: This Philadelphia landscaper...
jkom51
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™