Need newbie help-production in zone 9

gama_garden_tx(9)September 3, 2012

Hello all. This is my first year market gardening, and my second year gardening total. August was a brutal month in terms of heat (100 degree almost daily), and as a result many farmers dropped from the market for the month. The few times I went, I sold out, even after raising my prices & doubling production (which is a good problem). I'd like to avoid this for next August, and also have items that other vendors aren't selling (there is only so much okra and basil people can eat!). What other items could I harvest or produce in August in zone 9? I'm looking into a certified, commerical kitchen & licensing to sell canned/dried items, but that is a long term goal. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

Around here, august would mean Melons, all kinds. Never can have too many.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 3:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustico_2009

I am in Zone 9, but we have cooler summers. It almost always is around the low 60's at night, give or take. I think my advice would be bad for you. You have to stay local in the Southern states to best understand vegetable gardening. In California, A popular gardening guide has developed a 24 zone system that we use more than USDA zones. I would try to get a growing calendar from somebody close to you. Maybe you will need shade cloth to grow best for market in Texas We might do more and better with shade and misting extending spring and make summer doable. I know some parts of Texas it's pretty much out of the question to grow even melons beyond early summer.

Anyway my area is Zone 9 and August is peak harvest. With enough water, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, beans, zucchini, winter squash, cucumbers etc. keep on going to near first frost(Nov. 15) and possibly beyond with season extension.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes looking good!
I went "all in" and planted my big tomatoes...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
help designing my irrigation system
Hello, quick introduction, My name is Ed and I have...
squashblossom12
What to charge for tilling a garden spot
I had a guy ask me what I would charge him to till...
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
Pump recommendation for watering in greenhouse?
Hey everyone, We're looking to set up a large water...
secondspring
Sponsored Products
Vondom | Roulette Kids Rocking Chair
YLiving.com
SFERRA St. Moritz Plush Blanket
$165.00 | FRONTGATE
Page Leather Bench - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Natalya Bubble Glass Tube 9" High LED Wall Sconce
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Neo-Industrial Rubbed Bronze Four Light Vanity Fixture with Opal White Schoolhou
$179.90 | Bellacor
Grey and Silver Ceramic Round Toilet Brush Holder
TheBathOutlet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™