Fashionable late? Ajuga and Rozanne geranium

hoghaven_duluthmnMay 18, 2009

Many of my plant ID tags have disappeared this spring and I also seem to have lost my mind this winter. So, I can't find my Rozanne gernaniums. Are these late showers, or perhaps they winter-killed?

Also, I have never had ajuga before and I planted about 30 as a ground cover last year. So far I have found 3 that have returned. This is an area that had deep snow cover and does not warm up too quick. Do I need to do a little Zen meditation or would it be worth it to go into a full-fledged panic? My concern is that this is on a slope that is at risk for erosion.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boyle014(Z4)

I also planted ajuga last year and it was going great when winter hit. Very few came back. (Same with my nepeta, heleninramsey).

I think the problem is that late summer was pretty wet and I got lazy about watering. Then we had several very dry weeks followed by the freeze. I should have watered more in November. My beautiful canadian hemlock also got socked. I notice lots of other evergreens in other lawns with the same winter burn.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 9:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heleninramsey

Well, you are in a colder place than I am, and it seems that I have some really slow stuff in the colder parts of my yard. The temps are supposed to get nice and warm this week so that will be my test I guess. Maybe we need to be more patient or less paranoid. That is what I am telling myself (as I look at my roses that are making a terrible show of it...8 look damn near dead).

By the way, I never could find my plant tags, they always get raked up or something. So I have nooooo idea what a couple of things are, nor do I remember planting them. If one of them ends up being your geranium, I'll let ya know.

Helen.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
Is this rose bush?
Hi, we had a rose bush (or two) among other bushes...
Mary_AnneTM
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™