Gnarly Maple, Anyone?

nolamomOctober 11, 2008

hi folks,

what maple is the gnarliest? i don't have the 50 years or so i'm guessing it takes to make a tree naturally twisted and bent, so am wondering if there is one kind that is known for this characteristic? thank you!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Personally I do not know but I can recommend something that is exactly what you're looking for. Grows fast and contorted and great fall color and stays pretty narrow with a single leader (doesn't take a huge spot). A great all-around tree.

Larix kaempferi 'Diana'. You cannot go wrong.

Dax

Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 9:08AM
thomashton

Up here in Logan Canyon (Utah) there are many, many gnarly box elders. You are looking for a gnarly maple, well, this fits the bill. They grow super fast too. I would look for something in an all male cultivar such as "Sensation" so you avoid the winged mess and invasion of box elder bugs. That cultivar is also particularly pretty and red in autumn which isn't typical of normally yellow box elders.

Don't know what conditions they need to create the burls, but they can get incredibly gnarly in the right conditions. Mostly I have seen them this way near water.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 5:28PM
kaitain4(7)

Some of the Japanese Maples in the Dissectum category are quite twisted and bent. One called 'Germaine's Gyration' comes to mind - named specifically because of its wild, twisting braches.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™