If you had a choice of a Japanese Maple?

wendans(6)October 2, 2012

If you were going to chose a Japanese maple for yellow color, toughness, and just a cool tree what would you choose? I have the Autumn Moon, Moonrise, Aureum, and Saoshika. I need one more and I don't know which one to choose. Help me out. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alley_cat_gw

For me, it would be acer palmatum 'Summer Gold'. Probably my fav yellow because of the way it holds up in not only lots of sun...but extreme muggy humid heat.

~AL

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 8:53AM
maple_grove_gw

What size tree are you looking for? 'Shidava Gold' and 'Lima Gold' are interesting smaller trees. Moving up in size a bit, there's a palmatum called 'Aureum' (distinct from the Shirasawa clone). The yellow color of these plants does fade to light green as the leaves age and for gold color all season, maybe you'd be best with 'Summer Gold' as suggested above; I haven't seen it in person and so can't really recommend it.

Alex

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 12:36PM
Cher(6 SW OH)

Al I would love an update on your Summer Gold. Your post in the Spring instigated an inquiry from me to see how it does in full sun. kb_guess offered me a new graft from that thread. Thanks again Keith. I have to say I just got it a couple weeks ago and am astounded that a youngster graft was so full, but one thing I also see is some red in the leaves. I can't speak about how well it's going to do yet, as it's just a baby and only in the ground a couple weeks which is why I'd love to see an update on your old post with a photo of yours now and how it's done this summer when you have time.
Cher

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 3:13PM
micahj(6)

Acer p. 'Bihou' might be a great addition to your yellow collection. Yellow in the middle of winter! Though it will have green leaves in summer.
Also check out this article about winter bark color

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Maples in Winter

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 3:49PM
alley_cat_gw

Hey Chohio.....Sorry i forgot,but i will post a photo of my 'Summer Gold' this spring!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™