privacy vines in shade

hotspurMay 6, 2006

I would like to grow a vine(s) that will ensure privacy from the neighbors. However, the area is mostly shade. Does anyone know of a vine that grows well and fast in the shade? Thanks a lot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leaveswave(.)

wild grape and virginia creeper fit both your criteria.

Bookmark   May 6, 2006 at 8:55PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Yes- both of those would grow in part shade- although- those are both horribly invasive. If either ever set fruit- and the critters got to them- there would be more all over the place- as there is in my yard. Another note- if they were to run along the ground- they would set roots down all along the way- hence the name creeper- Also- they grow long and tall quickly- not wide. But if you want either of those- come on over! You would be doing me a favor of weeding them out!
I would opt for adlumina fungosa- it may take a while to enjoy the privacy it would provide- but well worth the effort and patience!
Many Ivy plants prefer part shade and will grow quickly- although they are not hardy. You could bring them in for the winter- or take cuttings and root them over the winter for next year.
You could also consider trailing plants in hanging containers- or part shade shrubs like honeysuckel.
I do remember reading some where on GW about shade vines.... that is where I learned about adlumina fungosa and others I cannot remember, but I don't remember where. Maybe a search on the GW site will provide you with the best choices for your site.
Julie

Bookmark   May 6, 2006 at 11:39PM
leaveswave(.)

'horribly invasive' of course being a relative term. First there is the perception of the gardener, then there is the factors of each unique site. My neighbor has both and I haven't noticed or heard of it being particularly invasive. They cover his fences quite nicely.

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 9:50PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Yeah- well you've got a point there Leaves-
I came to this property about 20 years ago with well established grapes and creeper- So established if fact that the grapes went up the phone pole, along the phone and power lines and all though the neighbors HUGE pine tree- and all through the Oaks and Elms out back- smothering those great big beauties- The grapes on my fence look like a beautiful hedge border all summer- but if I do not prune them considerably and cosistantly all summer long I would never get the gates open- and it would take over the yard setting roots as it goes- There is much work involved that I sometimes wish I didn't have to go through-
The creeper comes up all over the place- and does the same thing at a much faster rate. I do like it growing up my stucco house- but it continiously invades the beds and creepes out to the yard at an alarming rate- my husband has to trim it 2 or 3 times a year to keep it off of the roof and lifting shingels, It covers the ground all through the back where I have pulled buckthorn out and it gives the appearance of healthy growth in the woods- but that is not the case- it too smothers even the largest of trees and set roots as it goes- It deters native growth- and will easily take over where ever it establishes itself.
I do agree it is beautiful in the fall with all of it's red leaves abaze and turning burgundy- and it keeps the heat of the sun off of the south wall of my house- and adds interesting texture to the stucco with all of it's "feet" that stay stuck for years after the plant is gone-
I do have these plants- and will keep them even though I curse them- I will also freely share these with any who care for them- but I will not do so without warning them. As much as I work to "controll" them- at any time of the year you can see the damage they have caused to my and my neighbors property- it's damage is also quite visible in most all more natural parks- The forester for Plymouth has crews out to remove grapes- creeper and buckthorn- as do several other cities in the metro area-
But to each there own-

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 8:17AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Julie, Does it dammage the stucco? I have heard that if it gets heavy enough it can pull the stucco rith off of a house and I was wondering if that is true. Almost all of the houses in our area are stucco and some have vines. I like the look, but worry about dammage.
Pauline

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 10:02AM
meeperx(z4/5 Mpls)

Not exceptionally fast-but my mother has a very nice, large american bittersweet growing in a partly shaded spot.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 1:00PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Pauline- I could see where that could happen if the stucco was not adheared well to begin with. It could compound a pre-existing problem- but I don't think it could cause it all on it's own.
Hey there Meerpex-
I too have bittersweet growing up the garage on a trellis. I had purchased one from a reputable source and then found out you need male and female plants to form flowers (Like I had when I first moved in out back before the Creeper and grapes and currants crowded it all out....). So I went to Franks and bought American Bittersweet from them too- and now I have 2 plants that look different- I hope that one is not the asian variety which is reported to take over.... I am hopeing to identify them if they ever do bloom....
My Bittersweet are in FULL sun- I didn't know they could grow in shade.
I have 2 Loncera one in most shade well- actually- they both are- and are doing O.K. Maybe some day I will see them bloom as well.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 2:02PM
meeperx(z4/5 Mpls)

I think a bittersweet prefers sun-but it can take a while to get to the top of its tree host-so it has to be fairly shade tolerent too!

Did you really find a morel in your garden? Leave it-maybe it will make more :lol:

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 4:52PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Yep- I was digging in a "nursery " bed and sweeping the oak leaves out of the way and one stuck- and then I saw what I was looking at! I bet after last nights rain it will be prime for the eating!
I do scatter bits of them while collecting in hopes to create more- but I don't really know why they grow where they grow when they grow.......

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 7:27AM
doucanoe

Oh Julie, you lucky duck! I have been scouring my woods in hopes of finding a morel or two, but nothing!

Back to the topic at hand...

I bought a Porcelain Berry vine last year to plant in aprt-shade spot, but someone told me it was terribly invasive, too. So I didn't put it in. I have been looking for shade-loving vines since.
For now I have begun training wild grape that I found near two of my beds up a trellis. Wonder if they will ever produce fruit?

Linda

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 11:33AM
parrotslave

I planted a purple winter creeper as a ground cover in a shady corner and it climbed a six foot fence. I think it is the only thing holding the old wooden fence together now. It provides a very attractive background for my William Baffin rose and chokes out almost all weeds.

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 3:05PM
lynnsherbs(4 Minnesota)

My vote would be for Clematis - we have a Polish Spirit (viticella) and Duchess of Albany (texensis) which bloomed much of the summer in more shade than sun. The Polish Spirit is particularily impressive because it's in a very nasty place that holds water in early spring, then turns very dry in autumm. I kid you not - it bloomed straight through from June - frost! They do take a couple of years to get established, but are well worth the effort.

If you're looking for something fast - speaking from personal experience, get a fence. You will be amazed at the difference it makes!

Lynn

Bookmark   January 14, 2007 at 11:41AM
tania_10(z4MN)

Lynn,

Where did you purchase Polish Spirit and Duchess?

Thanks,

Tania

Bookmark   January 17, 2007 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™